CUTLASS Close Call - AN fitting failed

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
Just wanted to spread the word on something that could happen to you ! I just finished a LS swap and i used a quality name brand, Quick-connect, Male for a couple weeks it worked great at the fuel rail port. With no warning it decide to pull apart during a hard pull. The dual 450 pumps in my tank had no issue flooding the engine compartment instantly with fuel .The coil packs were covered with fuel / dripping with fuel. I'm am so lucky the whole car didn't burn down, I'm lucky nothing happed . I'm defiantly getting fire extinguisher for all my cars. Maybe someone can learn from my extremely stupid mistake.

Attachments

• an line.JPG
    an line.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I was happy to change to aftermarket rails to get rid of those fittings - I never liked how loose they fit on the factory rails.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
I'm in the process of ordering a different style fitting that screws on but I think I might change the rails if I feel the other fitting don't have a good mechanical fit.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Are you using a single -6 AN quick connect adapter fitting on a factory fuel rail with twin 450's? Is the fitting on return or feed? Factory rails don't have enough flow area to satisfy twin 450's. 3/8 line is about the min for 525 pump, twin 450's REALLY need a 1/2 line. The flow losses of a 3/8 line with 2 450's means you are only roughly 1.5 equivalent 450's worth of flow as you are effectively just burning flow into pressure rise due to the restriction.

Reactions: 2 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i have -8 AN lines to and from the rail my mistake was to use a quick connect on a factory rail temporarily.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
it was the feed line. the crazy part of all this was, the plastic insert part detached from the aluminum part somehow and when i popped the hood the plastic insert part was still on the fuel rail tightly. i had to use my pocket knife to pull the tabs off the flare to pull it off it was still attached correctly. the -8 AN PTFE line was still routed with natural bends and laying next to the rail with the outer portion of the AN fitting on it. i consider myself extremely lucky and I'm so glad i had the computer controlling the fuel pump i feel if i would of done it with a relay key on/off i don't think i would have a car left right now. my only goal is to spread the word on what has happened to me and hopefully stop this from happening again.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
yes plenty of slack.

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
In the world of drag racing there are very few "Safe" shortcuts, you are very lucky, I'm sincerely happy 😊 that your car didn't burn to the ground.
Brakes and fuel, in my opinion are two of the most important things you should pay attention to that tend to get shortcutted because of the difficulty in doing it right. When it comes to quick connect/disconnect, just say no. My two cents.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor