CUTLASS Close Call - AN fitting failed

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
In the world of drag racing there are very few "Safe" shortcuts, you are very lucky, I'm sincerely happy 😊 that your car didn't burn to the ground.
Brakes and fuel, in my opinion are two of the most important things you should pay attention to that tend to get shortcutted because of the difficulty in doing it right. When it comes to quick connect/disconnect, just say no. My two cents.
i personally feel how i wired my fuel pumps saved my car and maybe me in fact. I didn't put the pumps key on key off i wired the pumps to operate with the computer and let it trigger the pumps and i feel that was the key.

Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not sure what ECU the op was using, but putting safeties into either the software or hardware for the fuel system is always a good idea. I’ve learned to use them after having fuel issues several times.

If you install a safety, check that it works as designed as well. Saying that from experience. Using aftermarket ECU’s I’ve taken advice from others and have all of my safeties cut dwell time which essentially turns off the coils which in turn shuts off the fuel pumps. They can be a pita to setup and/or install, but they can save your bacon.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I think I had the same fitting fail, was actually just turning the key to unlock the wheel to turn it and move the Blazer around. Haven't got further into it but think it was the same thing, may look at that other fitting to see if that will be a better solution

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
You said that you ran a #8 line? The factory fuel rail is #6. If you didn't use the correct quick connect that adapts a 1/2" line to a 3/8 fuel rail, it will snap on the rail but it will be very loose and it will blow off.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor