Clutch chatter / shudder

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys I have a 78 malibu, 96 LT1 carb mated to a 63 T-10 with a Zoom “stage 2” clutch and mechanical linkage. I have clutch chatter / shudder upon engagement of first or reverse. It seems to get worse as the vehicle warms up although i cant positively confirm that. I can kind of ride the clutch a bit to reduce the chatter. I was diligent during the install and this is not my first clutch/trans install but it is my first time having an issue. Every seal/gasket etc on the motor is new. Motor and trans mounts are brand new poly mounts, clutch and flywheel are brand new. Under 100 miles on build. Probably 50 miles or so.

I may have oil contamination as i noticed some oil in the bellhousing. I had a trans shop “visually inspect” the transmission before i installed it and he said it looked very good. He did not find a need to dig into it. The seals looked new although I did not do them. It was supposedly a fresh rebuild. The trans shop said that looked accurate. It is a little leaky although i thought that wasnt too uncommon. I tightened everything up as best as possible. Looking for any insight.

Wondering if:

A. Is some chatter normal with a “stage 2” clutch

B. Do i need to drive it more

C. Is it worth trying to clean through the inspection cover area. Or do i need to pull the transmission.

I wanted to ask around before I spend the weekend pulling the transmission back out.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Anyone?

If i am careful, it wont shudder. My idle is pretty low. I kind of have to lightly engage to start rolling and then i can just let the clutch out and Im off. If i ride the clutch it will shudder. If it is a characterisic of a performance clutch than i can live with it. I read on another site for imports that it goes away with break in. Wanted to get you all’s opinions

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Chatter is perfectly normal with some Clutches. I run a Monster Stage 3 on the back of my Cammed 6.0l in my T56 6spd setup, this thing at idle sounds like marbles in a soup can. Been like that for years, all is good.

CLUTCH1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Chatter is perfectly normal with some Clutches. I run a Monster Stage 3 on the back of my Cammed 6.0l in my T56 6spd setup, this thing at idle sounds like marbles in a soup can. Been like that for years, all is good.

View attachment 221158
Ok thanks for the input. I didnt want to tear the transmission out to find nothing. Nice setup by the way

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I wonder if the cam has something to do with it. Kind of falls on its face for a split second (almost stalls) during engagement then takes off like a rocket ship

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I wonder if the cam has something to do with it. Kind of falls on its face for a split second (almost stalls) during engagement then takes off like a rocket ship
That's because you're not giving it enough gas, pull your skirt up and send it.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor