clutch fan replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porklops

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2010
after a new built 355 and a 3.73 rear end my clutchfan is knocking and generally making a ruckus around 3000 rpm.. should i flex fan it or put in a new clutch fan? any ideas are welcome..

295286_3830939529563_1671246946_n_zpsa0c486ac.jpg

Clutch or electric...aftermarket flex fans are not very efficient.

out of the 2 electric would probably be better right? price doesn't matter, I already put to damn much under the hood anyway lol. should I thermostat the fan or just wire em right into the accessory voltage?

"better" is highly subjective....the clutch fan works well, but will take more power to drive when fully locked up. Electric will free up some power, but will require careful attention to wiring needs and methodology of operation.

Ideally, one could use a thermostatic switch in the coolant to operate an electric. I personally don't care for the probes that slip into the radiator core fins...but that's me.

Bear in mind that some electrics draw in excess of 30 amps at startup..so a relay is definately going to be needed in the circuitry. May also look at charging system capacity to see if there's enough there.

On my stuff, I use a clutch fan. I would, however, use electric when/if I go injected, as it's a simple matter to let the ECM control the fan.

Forgot to add that some aftermarket flex fans have a track record of ventilating hoods/hoses at higher RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor