Clutch question

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
I’m about to start my attempt at putting a super t10 in my wagon in place of the Saginaw. The local jegs said they didn’t have a 10.5 inch 26 spline clutch disc in stock but the website said otherwise. My brother told me to run it by you guys because he’s not 100% sure and hasn’t messed with any older 4 speeds for quite a while. Back when my dad initially did the car he put a Borg and Beck clutch in it and a hays disc. He didn’t know if I would need a specific disc for the Borg when compared to say a diaphragm type clutch? He assumed they are but said to ask. This is my first go around with an older 4 speed so sorry if my terminology is off a bit.
7CEBBD3D-2EAE-4AA5-A90F-7946FC495C58.jpeg
This is where I’m at currently……

Last edited:

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
I guess I should also add that the car is mostly just going to be a cruiser with an occasional drag strip pass but it’s not going to be a world beater. If anyone has any good recommendations on brands to look into/buy I’m all ears. I already have the rebuild kit for the super t10. Thanks in advanced

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Flywheel needs to be ground. Pressure plate needs to be replaced so you might as well get a complete kit.

Something like the Perfection clutch 30005S.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
I was wondering about all of that. My dad said he thinks that’s the original flywheel but he can’t remember. My brother said he thinks it’s a SFI flywheel but neither of them know. That pressure plate doesn’t even have 3k miles on it if I had to guess so same with the flywheel assuming it’s not stock. Maybe I’ll pop it off really quick. I’m assuming that’s all just from heat? I doubt it has over 10 drag strip passes on it and that was all with a very mild 350 and stock rearend.

Last edited:

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The casting number comes up as 4.3 and V8 chevy internally balanced engines with a 2 piece rear main seal in a marine application. The N at the end means it is nodular cast iron.

Note at about 2 o'clock the starter teeth are damaged, I would have a new ring gear installed.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Just buy a new flywheel. Cast iron flywheels with cracks are biggest issue for clutch failure. Get a new steel flywheel and a decent diaphragm clutch.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Yep, added a flywheel to the parts list. Going to do some reading on clutch kits tonight in bed I guess. Hell, was Borg and Beck even any good at any point in the past? I don’t want to buy something that’s going to crap out on me this fast again.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor