Clutch rod boot, 2nd gen F body aren't the right one.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I ran into an old issue today, ordered a clutch rod boot for Jr.'s car to find out it's another 2nd gen F body one. Ordered it from Dixie Restoration Depot since the web site & most current catalog shows the correct one for our cars. Even ordered the one for my car from them many moons ago when they were still in N.C. which was the reason I went with them. When Jr. opened the box to see what I got him I noticed right away it was time for a phone call. Was able to talk to Rob about it which he tried to check the one their invintory said they had but was out. So he just had me send pics of it which is still in the El Camino Manufacturing package. I added pic of the one I got off OPGI over 20 years ago with the correct one (which from their order history I was informed it's a NOS boot they used to stock). He told me he'll contacy El Camino Manufacturing in the morning about it to make sure it wasn't mispackaged. Never had any issues with any other Dixie orders & glad with their williingness to correct this.

Now I still can't figure out after all these years how suppliers can claim a part fits something, pushes it out the door to retailers just to have the buyer find out it's wrong. These "correct" G body clutch rod boots which are really '70-'81 F & '75-'79 X bodies boots have been have been a pain to me for over 25 years. The centered distance between the two mounting holes alone are not the same distance, the firewall end big hole are not the same size or shape. They don't have the correct molded angle to from end to end. Even the fit on the firewall is not right with the incorrect molded angle. If one would grab a 2nd gen F body resto catalog, the same boot is what is shown it.

DSCN4737.JPG DSCN4743.JPG DSCN4748.JPG DSCN4752.JPG DSCN4753.JPG DSCN4754.JPG DSCN4755.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Good news, really bad news. Dixie Restoration Depot did a great job with quick updates on checking on with El Camino Manufacturing & was verified they are shipping F body boots as G body ones cause they have the bad info that those were the next best part to use. Then the really bad news, El Camino Manufacturing can not find a place to mold them dispite having the them having the GM molds. I've started to see if anyone has old stock of the correct one based on the picture they have with the website listing. Already struck out with Ecklers as they don't have any on hand & have it shipped directly from El Camino Manufacturing. I have a few lines in the water waiting to see if there'll be any bites to get me one. Worse case I good condition used one will be what I'll have to hunt for but I might be better to adapt a square body truck boot dispite them being a little bigger. Best thing would be getting the word out there that those F body boots are wrong dispite the age old story claiming they fit is out there. Wish Jr. & me luck on this hunt.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got to talk to someone at Chevelle Depot in Winsor, ON which I hope gets me on the right track despite being told the boot doesn't fit Jr.'s Monte. Now it'll be a wait till Tuesday cause Hockey, Beer & Maple Syrup Day (Canada Day) Monday.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor