Colorado emissions testing questions

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
When I last plated my cars in CO , FT Lupton it was part of weld County and they had changed over to more modern emission standards and this was in 2008 and all they needed was cats and to pass the emission standards for that model year this was with my 77 Olds and 81 Monte Carlo. There's a few different places to get checked out there too 1 near Brighton another by Greely and another by I-25 and 119

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Emissions goes by county, are you able to tag in a county without emissions? I'm in El Paso County, no emissions here, but they're coming. CO also requires CA or OE cats FYI.

Not exactly.

These counties require an emissions test to register a vehicle:
  • Boulder
  • Broomfield
  • Denver
  • Douglas
  • Jefferson
  • Portions of Adams
  • Portions of Arapahoe
  • Portion of Larimer
  • Portions of Weld
BUT here's the REALLY bad news. Thanks to Hickenlooper Colorado this year started following the California Emissions laws. So that means ALL vehicles 1976 and up need to pass emissions at least every 5 years (for 32 year old and older classics) and every 2 for newer cars. Also the emissions testing is now more stringent. Not exactly sure what's changed on the older cars but for OBD2 they look at more parameters in the ECU, that means NO TUNES. Then there's the "CARB Approved" parts issue, some meth head cut the Cat out of your truck? Now it's going to cost you 4x as much for CARB approved CAT because it's illegal to ship/sell "Federal Cats" to Colorado.

The mouth breathers at the Air Care facility don't care if your swap burns cleaner than what it replaced, all the items on their list must be intact, that means AIR Injection system, EGR, Cat & Evap are all in place. They also have a gas cap integrity test, this is the #1 failure. Lube up your O-Ring with Sil-Glide or White Lithium grease and you'll pass. I had a BRAND New cap fail this B.S. test.

I along with several other people believe this how Air Care had stayed in business, this failure is easy to fix, but shows that their testing is valid because they identified X-failures per year and X came back for a retest and passed therefore cutting down on pollution. If 99% of the cars coming in passed on the first shot, they'd shut down the testing as it's a waste of money (this happened in many other states).

I understand Texas is a hot and generally a miserable place to be outside 1/2 the year and Colorado is very appealing for the outdoor enthusiast, but the Front Range has turned into a cesspool of drug addicts, bums and Extreme Liberals from California. In Denver it's really gone down hill in terms of crime and vagrants all over the place.

If you DO come to Colorado, register your Elco up in South Dakota. Easy.

I saw you visited Estes Park, that's close to where I live. Keep in mind with the Mountains as you go further up the longer your winters will be. Places like Black Hawk or Rollinsville are in relative close proximity to the metro area and tick off all your boxes but you'll be shoveling snow from Oct til May. Further up will get your farther from Health Care, the Airport and make winters that much tougher. Estes is close to being the sweet spot which is why we have so many retirees here and yes the Summer is crowded with Tourists but that drops off cliff outside the Memorial Day-Labor Day season. Another bonus to Estes is it is outside of Air Care. It's a real give and take with the Mountains; Cheap and it's going to be FAR from any services, close to the action it's going to be EXPENSIVE.

My personal Favorite place that's in the Mountains is Buena Vista, it's not the harshest winters, tolerable summers, not extremely expensive and tourism is moderate. It does have a HUGE prison which is probably why it's not in HIGH demand https://cdoc.colorado.gov/facilities/buena-vista-correctional-complex but Colorado is ripe with prisons, we have the only Federal SuperMax prison there is at ADX Florence and is home to El Chapo and the Unabomber.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Longmont, Berthoud and Loveland are nice areas and are close to the mountains
I'm looking in all those areas. Severance and Dacono areas too. All work well for being able to take care of family in Ft. Collins from time-to-time and visiting friends we've made in Boulder since we've had our condo. Keeps us close to a major airport in Denver too which is nice. We haven't put the condo on the market yet. Maybe towards the end of this winter.
I've pretty much decided at this point that I will be going the E-Rod route for my El Camino. I could change my mind at any time before I start spending and I will have some time but I'm going to take the car there for sure.
$10K+ for the engine and will need an accessory drive and another oil pan. So it's going to be about $13K to $15K investment but I think I could sell my 30K mile LT1, ECM and harness for at least $2K.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm looking in all those areas. Severance and Dacono areas too.
Anything East of I-25 will definitely have a much more MAGA Country feel to it than West of I-25, it's a very noticeable cultural shift. Definitely spend some time out there before you get serious about any properties. It's not horrible but if you don't like the Boebert crowd it might not be the best place, although I do know a rich pot smoking dude that has buildings full of classic Chevys in Dacono so you could score a great neighbor if you lucked out and bought near him, otherwise it's lots of oil field guys driving lifted Bro Dozer Diesels out there.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Anything East of I-25 will definitely have a much more MAGA Country feel to it than West of I-25, it's a very noticeable cultural shift. Definitely spend some time out there before you get serious about any properties. It's not horrible but if you don't like the Boebert crowd it might not be the best place, although I do know a rich pot smoking dude that has buildings full of classic Chevys in Dacono so you could score a great neighbor if you lucked out and bought near him, otherwise it's lots of oil field guys driving lifted Bro Dozer Diesels out there.

Boebert. . . she appears to be the right's answer to AOC? Just gave it a quick Google.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The Bro Dozers are mostly driven by 20-somethings that work for Anadarko out in the oil fields. Coal Rolling isn't as common as it was a few years ago THANKFULLY! Once you spend a bit of time out there you'll get a feel for the HUGE cultural difference between there and Boulder County.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
don't want this thread getting the kiss of death so I'll simply say "Go down the rabbit hole..." with https://www.google.com/search?q=stupidities+by+boebert
as for the Bro Dozer Diesels, as long they are not coal rolling idiots with young redneck relatives running their dirtbikes all over the place, I'm ok with a rancher
Since you like more of a remote location, I guess that means you would consider a place without high-speed Internet? That would be deal breaker for me.
Politics isn't a real problem for me. I've lived in liberal Austin and conservative San Angelo. I keep my poliltics to myself except for family and a few select close friends.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor