MONTE CARLO Column Shift with 4L80E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
I am curious about this, I had saw this thread a while ago and was trying to do something similar on my kids car....but got stuck when it came to the trans hook up. I have the bracket to bolt to the pan, but that location is for a pulling motion. It seems to me that the trans pan bracket would have to be mounted ahead of the shift lever on the trans. As if the bracket almost needs to be mounted to the oil pan (I know this is not going to be the case), to make the cable activate the shift lever.
Is there a pic of the other end of your shift cable set up CS69Camaro?

cs69camaro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2014
Louisiana
I hope this helps.

1589595026759.png

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
Thank you very much!
So you mounted the shifter lever upside down..... and the cable bracket more or less sideways... okay, very interesting.
I will retry the cable option now that you have enlightened me on how you made it work. Thanks again for posting.

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
In regards to the B&M cable for making a column shifter work with a 4L60E / 4L80E, here are some pics of what I used on the firewall / steering column side of the situation.
I chose to use a "older" style B&M cable that is threaded on both ends. The threads are 10/32 and I found a heim on Amazon to screw on to the firewall side. A 2" 10/32 cap screw and some nylon spacers were used. The rubber grommet in the steering column that the factory linkage goes in is .500" OD and about .400" ID and I had to trim down a nylon bushing to fit in there. I put a washer on either side of the grommet and a spacer between that and the heim. I made a little bracket to mount the cable in and riveted it to the firewall. Had to trim a bit of the seam where the floor pan and firewall come together to give the cable clearance, but not enough to affect the integrity of the seam. Added a pic to give an idea of the final product.

Attachments

• 20200620_014925.jpg
    20200620_014925.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 428
  • 20200620_175920.jpg
    20200620_175920.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 434
  • 20200620_135835.jpg
    20200620_135835.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 432
  • Creative
Reactions: 5 users

chadtn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2008
These pictures are very helpful! I picked up a 4l80e the other day and I'm still researching what all I need to run it. It will be a while before I can start mocking everything up. Can anyone tell me why the shift lever brackets end up flipped upside down? Do they interfere with the exhaust in the normal position?

It looks like both examples pictured in this thread have the long shift lever shaft on their transmissions. One example has the PRNDL switch still in place and the other doesn't. My transmission also has the long lever, but it didn't come with the switch. I've been looking at B&M part numbers trying to match up what you guys used. Just based off the pictures, it looks like one person used B&M #35498 for transmissions without the PRNDL switch and the other used #75498 for ones that do have the switch. Either way they end up having to be modified. Figured I'd try to throw some part numbers out for posterity. heh..

B&M #35498
BMM-35498_YJ.jpg

B&M #75498
bmm-75498_cc_xl.jpg

Thanks for the great information!

Chad

Reactions: 1 user

cs69camaro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2014
Louisiana
If I remember correctly the reason that the bracket needed to be upside down is thath the cable had to push the shift lever instead of pull it as the b&m shifter does. It has been a few years since I figured all of that out and I've slept a time or two since then lol. I hope that clears it up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor