Compression test results what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
if u got smoke coming out ur dipstick or oil cap and ur pcv valve is good that means u getting blow by past the rings

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
ERIC87442 said:
i dont have oil coming out the dipstic or the cap just poots out smoke, but i get oil up in my air cleaner
sorry meant to say smoke coming out the dipstick or oil filler. ill correct the post

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I'm leaning towards rings. I had smoke puffing out my breather. I was within about 5psi(125 average) in all my cylinders except one, it was 25-35, can't remember exactly. Anyway, i figured rings broke since it was fairly fresh rebuild and cheap rings with a blower. It ended up being the piston. The top was fine but the ring lands between the top and oil ring were broke of on one side of the piston.

Here's hoping you luck runs better than mine!

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
not to sure. but ive never encountered a car where blow by was caused from a bad head gasket. usually its just worn out rings.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
ERIC87442 said:
im hoping i just got some sticking rings and i can free some crap up with seafoam or that gm uper intake cleaner
use the sea foam. put it in before u change ur oil and put at least 20 miles on the car. them change the oil and use some thicker oil. 10w40. i like using 20w50. and see if the blow by clears up and check ur compression again. see if it comes up some and ur smoking filler cap stops. if u have access to a leak down test i would do that to when u check ur compression after sea foam and a fresh oil change.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
X2 i would do the same... just get a good starting point..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor