Considering a TKO 600 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
So lately I've been feeling the need for an overdrive gear. Thought about a Gear Vendors unit, a 2004r, 4l80e etc. to replace my th400. Since I do prefer to row through the gears I think I may go with the TKO 600. My question is are there any real issues with this transmission in a G body? Major floor work? I haven't done any real research on it yet so any pointers are appreciated..

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Larkin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2018
So lately I've been feeling the need for an overdrive gear. Thought about a Gear Vendors unit, a 2004r, 4l80e etc. to replace my th400. Since I do prefer to row through the gears I think I may go with the TKO 600. My question is are there any real issues with this transmission in a G body? Major floor work? I haven't done any real research on it yet so any pointers are appreciated..
I finished installing a TKO 600 into my 78' Monte Carlo about a month ago. Let me start with the car was a turbo 350, with dead gears in the rear. I installed a built 200r4 and a 7.5 rear with 3.73's, was more of what I wanted, but still left me feeling I was missing out on some of the fun and power. Motor is a 355 (.030 over 350), with old school "double hump" heads, nice cam and 650 carb. Took the winter and installed a 8.5 rear with 3.73 gears, from a 85' 442, was a one legger and installed a Eaton limited slip carrier. I know there are cheaper ways of doing this swap, but I'm turning 50, and trying to scout out all the parts simply wasn't worth it to me. There are several company's out there that sell a kit. I went with Silver Sport Transmissions. Kit was not cheap, but to me, worth every penny. Came with stencil for floor cut out, sheetmetal bracket for new shifter location, hydraulic throw-out bearing, master for clutch and hoses, bellhousing, clutch set, crossmember, new brake and clutch pedal assembly, and of course the TKO 600. I love the car more now than ever. I find a reason to drive it almost every day. There were a few issues along the way, but SST stuck by their product and sent me the corrected parts. Not a weekend job, but certainly do-able in two. I went as far as to hook up back up lights (switch comes with transmission) and neutral safety switch. If you are serious about doing it, I would strongly recommend.

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
I finished installing a TKO 600 into my 78' Monte Carlo about a month ago. Let me start with the car was a turbo 350, with dead gears in the rear. I installed a built 200r4 and a 7.5 rear with 3.73's, was more of what I wanted, but still left me feeling I was missing out on some of the fun and power. Motor is a 355 (.030 over 350), with old school "double hump" heads, nice cam and 650 carb. Took the winter and installed a 8.5 rear with 3.73 gears, from a 85' 442, was a one legger and installed a Eaton limited slip carrier. I know there are cheaper ways of doing this swap, but I'm turning 50, and trying to scout out all the parts simply wasn't worth it to me. There are several company's out there that sell a kit. I went with Silver Sport Transmissions. Kit was not cheap, but to me, worth every penny. Came with stencil for floor cut out, sheetmetal bracket for new shifter location, hydraulic throw-out bearing, master for clutch and hoses, bellhousing, clutch set, crossmember, new brake and clutch pedal assembly, and of course the TKO 600. I love the car more now than ever. I find a reason to drive it almost every day. There were a few issues along the way, but SST stuck by their product and sent me the corrected parts. Not a weekend job, but certainly do-able in two. I went as far as to hook up back up lights (switch comes with transmission) and neutral safety switch. If you are serious about doing it, I would strongly recommend.

Thanks. I'll have to check them out after work. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you turning 50 and no time to scrounge bits. This would be an over the winter thing for me so I'm in no rush to get it done quick.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor