Consoles (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The Malibu coupe I bought had a crappy pair of Jeep seats in it, was originally a bench seat car. Like a lot of people, I am kicking around the idea of doing the bucket seat interior.

Where you guys come in is, I would like to see what consoles people have used other than the original Malibu/Camino/Monte version. Ideally, it would have an armrest built in to it.

I have seen the aftermarket universal fiberglass consoles, for $400+ I would just buy a repro Malibu/Monte unit.

I looked at a bunch of threads, saw the second-gen Camaro ones, but where do you buy a good 2nd gen console....heck, they were burnt/gouged/cracked/peeling back in the 90s, let alone today? I'm old fashioned, a bucket seat car without a console just looks wrong to me, even back when I had my 3 year old 4 speed 78 Camaro (without console, and a green interior to boot!).

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you look on Ebay you can find some good deals on Camaro/ Firebird second gen consoles, I bought this blue one for $78 shipped it had a few issues but nothing too hard, it came with the glovebox and a homemade wooden lid (instantly trashed) it had a few cracks on the inside hard plastic (not visible on the outside) that I repaired with epoxy and thin aluminum and I also repaired a couple burn holes with a vinyl repair kit I also bought off Ebay.
I painted it with SEM black with a few coats of low luster clear but it will be dark burgundy eventually since the plan is for it to go in my 86' Regal and I will have to modify it to fit around the gauge cluster I recently made.
I also bought a new glovebox cover and cup holders to finish it off.

IMG_1233.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It does still take some modification to get it in but the nice thing is there is plenty of shifter options for this console and they don't sit up real high like many do when using an afternmarket universal shifter in a factory console,

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Would you say the armrest is at a comfortable height? Your pic in another thread is what got me looking at Camaro consoles.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Would you say the armrest is at a comfortable height? Your pic in another thread is what got me looking at Camaro consoles.
Yes, with my arm on the armrest it lines up perfectly with the B & M shifter which is one of the reasons I decided to copy the design I used for the Monte and eventually do it to the Regal, plus I like how the console looks in there.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Yes, with my arm on the armrest it lines up perfectly with the B & M shifter which is one of the reasons I decided to copy the design I used for the Monte and eventually do it to the Regal, plus I like how the console looks in there.
That console does look nice in there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
That console does look bad *ss in there bro. I like what you did with the stereo too. I think you might have a gauge fetish though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor