Control Arm Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Need some help, please.
83 Regal, LCA bolts, front passenger side bolt does NOT want to come out. The steel insert is stuck to the bolt. Both pieces r spinning together, rusted up and came loose from the bushing. Tried hammer, hammer, hammer, C-clamp and too large of a socket as a receiver and tried to push it through, Nope. Bent the C-clamp trying and that was a stout C-clamp. Thought about a bottle jack in between the LCA mounts and push through, but afraid of busting off the rear mount. Thought about Saw-Zall or drilling it out. I don't have oxy/acetylene either. Oh, penetrating oil didn't help. Prob have to rent a torch, I guess, right?
Or do u have ANY other suggestions. This bolt was kicking my butt for a couple of hours. :x

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
Do you have air? Air Hammer?

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
try soaking it several times in a good penatrating oil. then go at it again. I had to do that for the seat bolts on my wifes ruststang. oil, elbow grease and big johnson bar broke them loose.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Yup. Sitting with penetrating oil on it right now, then I'll respray during the week. Man, I hope it pops apart on its own.

Not much room for an Air Hammer, but I have considered that, too.

May still end up with a Torch.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had the same problem with another G body I had in the past. I ended up having to burn the rubber out of it to get access to the sleeve that's rusted to the bolt. The sleeve is a rolled piece of metal so you can open it with a chisel. Good luck ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor