Convenience Center access (seatbelts, key buzzer)

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
81 Grand Prix. Below is the diagram of the convenience center, located at the bottom left corner of the dash. I can see and touch the blue box in my car. I can rock it side to side but it doesn't feel like it wants to come out. And, I can wrap my hand past it & touch what's labeled below as the seatbelt timer buzzer and ignition key warning buzzer, but I'm afraid to pull because I don't know what I'm pulling on & what I might break. Should all of these just pull straight out, or are there screws or catches holding things? The diagram doesn't help me much.

The reason I'm getting into this is that my seatbelt light & buzzer doesn't work, and my key buzzer doesn't work.

About the key buzzer though - see this video. There IS a faint buzzing with the key in, but it's coming from over behind the radio somewhere, not from the convenience center. So I'm a little confused about that. & BTW the ignition cylinder is worn & I'm replacing it.

If anybody's dealt with any of this & can help, I'd appreciate it.

inconvenience center.jpg

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I have the bottom pan off. I looked at a car at the junkyard with the dash trim removed & it doesn't look like there's enough room to get in there without taking the gauges out. I'll be doing that eventually but I don't really want to do than now unless I have no choice.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Note the screw holding it in. Looks like 7mm head and you will use the braille method to get it out. :blam:

Edited to add. There might be another screw on the bottom too.

inconvenience center edited.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Does the screw / screws hold the whole convenience center in... the' block' that the blue box & buzzers are attached to?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Wait until you replace the cylinder. With what you describe it could be bad connection and or operation of the reed switch in the steering column itself.

Access to it is by pulling turn signal switch forward and out of the way. This gets you access to the lock bolt that holds the cylinder in. Just to the left of the bolt is the switch. You see those small copper strips? That's the switch. Just pull straight out with needle nose pliers.

Do the cylinder first and inspect the switch for damage. If the switch is damaged ... Nothing you do at the box will affect a change. Screenshot_20220717-214546.png

Reactions: 1 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Got it - thanks. This is the first thing I plan to do after I finish with my motor.

Reactions: 1 user

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
The reed switch is good. I tweaked it a bit to 'tighten it up' & make sure it was getting good contact when in place, then reinstalled it along with the new ignition cylinder. The sloppiness in the cylinder is gone and the key buzzer is 'solid' now, but still quiet. There's no change to the seatbelt stuff... still no light or buzzer. So, probably back to the convenience center.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor