Converter Confusion 200c to LB9 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

1985Diablo

Apprentice
May 4, 2009
Brick, NJ
So, built a 1988 LB9 305, my understanding is that the converter pilot is the same as the old 1987 :puke: LG4 1.703". BUT, the converter will not fit , crank pilot hole measures 1.675" So now what do I do? :?

Nevermind, I found the problem, hard to describe, so I'll take pics and post them tomorrow. HINT, beware of used crankshafts.

i was wondering about the crank. IIRC all gen 1 engines had the same pilot and such, they didn't change anything till the LS series.

monte olrac said:
are you talking about the flex plate, since the converter doesn't connect to the crankshaft
That's true, however, the converter has a pilot on the front that fits into the crank. Somehow, and just how this is possable escapes me, the end of the crank was mushroomed enough to shrink the opening. This prevented the converter from fully mounting to the flexplate. One way to solve this is to pull the crank, and have the machine shop turn the opening back to the proper size. Anyone got any other ideas?

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos47 ... 5_0_SM.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos47 ... 5_0_SM.jpg

are there different flanges for a one peice rear main and a two?...what type of main do you have?...now that i think about it my conveter does not go into that hole, but i do have an aftermarket converter, so i dont thnk you have to worry about that, i had to use some washers on mine to keep the coverter fully engaged. so you should be alright

Yes, the flange is different 1pc vs 2pc, and I know some aftermarket converters do not have a pilot. Thing is, the stock one does, so, as the sig says, I got a grinder....

QUESTION, what happens when you install the flexplate backwards?

A larger than usual gap between the flexplate and torque convertor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor