CUTLASS Coolant capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I don’t need the mineral, chlorine and fluorine content in our Fla tap water in the coolant jackets. Best to use distilled and ethylene glycol and be done with it.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Still, the deionized (DI) and distilled are two different types of waters. One is more expensive to make (DI) as it's a chemical demineralization with anion/cation process and not always readily available, and the other is simple evaporative/condensing method (Distilled). Nothing wrong with using distilled or DI water as it's non-conductive electric-wise, but if you have good, clean tap water, it should be ok. I won't run straight tap water at my house for coolant systems because the pH is on the low side. It is filtered soft well water with a conductiviy of 15 which is darn near DI water anyway. It sucks because of the rock formations in the area drop the natural pH to around 5.7 which is a tad acidic. If you have hard water that's not softened, etc., it's probably best to go with distilled. What, 3 bucks worth from Wal-mart perhaps? You could even use the jug of plain drinking water, too, that's usually found on the same shelf.

But use whatever water flips your skirt. DI, tap, or distilled is one of those things like which is the best brand of motor oil?

EDIT: To clarify, DI water is non-electrically-conductive. Distilled water still is conductive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Ya, cheap. I bought WinnDixie 2.5gal distilled for $3 and a coupla 1gal for $1.25 to have some smaller capacity jugs for topping off when needed.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yep, don't want to get on tangent. Most issues I've ever had with the older vehicles tend to be expansion plugs and corrosion in other place due to the previous owner running water only for most of the life of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor