Coolant sealing a Thermal Vacuum Switch

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
I have to replace the Thermal Vacuum Switch on my 1979 231 V6 engine. I have purchased the replacement part but am wondering how it seals against coolant leaking? Does it need a crush washer ? The vacuum tubes on it must point up when installed. I saw a photo on the internet where there was Teflon tape on the threads of one that a guy was going to install. Advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 01 (Medium).jpg
    01 (Medium).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 17
From the factory service manual.
"The DTVS must be installed with soft sealant on the threads."

Teflon tape would likely do the same job as their sealant.

Reactions: Rktpwrd and Rory
Generally, you would use a dab of pipe dope for that soft seal. Teflon tape also works. Sometimes, not always, the sensors come with pre-doped sealant already applied (dried but pliable stuff).

CSM calls for GM p/n 1050026 or equivalent.

Loctite 1525607 aviation gasket sealant works well as a substitute. Use just a little. Don't go crazy. You also would use this for the thermostat bolts that extend into the coolant passages on an Olds. Not sure about Chevy.

Back in my days as a mechanic in factories I received similar advice from a pipefitter. His take was tape on the male threads and dope on the female threads and it will never leak. Never saw a leak when following this procedure.

Never saw teflon tape on G-body Olds V8 factory engine fittings. Either it was the goop or pre-applied sealer. If done properly, I don't see why any of that won't work, though.

• Agree
Reactions: 383_StealthRam
That looks like a straight thread. It would need a crush washer or an o ring.
Do not use teflon tape, that is only for tapered pipe thread. NPT or PT.

Thinking the same... A good wrap of tape would or could seal. Won't know until you get engine to operating temp.

But if you look at the threads... They appear to be straight cut and above the threads it is cut for about a 1/8th or 3/16th o-ring. Under the nut is the mating surface and if you inspect the boss, you should see it is machined flush as well. The o-ring pinches in there to seal any imperfection of the mounting.

Can you wrap it good or goop it up with paste? Probably. Will it be ok? Probably. It's only a 15 psi system.

Also that is aluminum going in to machined iron manifold? Don't over do it. Make sure not to cross thread and wrench it down snug. Both mating surfaces should be in contact, then 1/8 to 1/4 turn only. Should be no leaks if done right. Over torque it and you start stripping threads and now will predispose yourself to leaks.

Heh heh. It only appears straight due to the angle of the picture. Those are pipe threads. It's short so there's not much room to see the taper, but it's there. I don't know of any sensor that screws into the coolant system that isn't pipe thread style.

1726831930027.png

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Are part numbers the same? This later one is NPT or at least appears so. Above the threads is not machined as the other appears to be. Maybe all was just optical illusion due to angle of photos?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor