Coolant System Issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I have to install an exhaust and brakes for inspection. Would it be a plan for them to just look that all over properly while it's at the shop? We've gone there for over 30 years and they won't mess with us. I just don't want to have an issue... We already got a thermostat, but haven't installed it yet. So I'll do that, and get a new cap as well. We'll see how that goes. But I'll scope out the system when I'm under there tonight...

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Update!

I looked under the hood today when I got home. The radiator looks like it's about 75% or 80% full. And the overflow tank is completely empty. It's obvious that it's hooked up properly, because it does go over there at running temp.

It's obvious that it's not too full since the rad isn't full nor is the overflow. So what'd make it bubble over in the overflow tank? Is it not circulating properly I'm guessing? Will replacing the cap and the thermostat do anything for this? I know you guys said a few other things as well, but will either of those really directly influence what's going on based on my symptoms? I'd love to put more fluid into the overflow and the rad, but I'm afraid it'll just pour out again and I'm out a bottle of fluid. I mean, I drove it that way for a half an hour on the highway and nothing happened. lol. It bubbled out for a second or two and it quit. I just wanna know what's up before I take it to the dealer to have them look at it. I'm gonna let it run for a few tomorrow and I'm gonna look and see what's happening. But until then, can you guys give me any info based on my new info???

THANKS!!!!!

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Because they are cheap and simple to do, best to do as the others mentioned and see what a new thermostat and radiator cap will do. The radiator cap does directly influence what goes on with the reserve tank, and thermostats go bad, so it's where to start troubleshooting. You can try those items yourself for a lot cheaper than what a shop will charge you, and that is only what they will start out doing anyways. The head gaskets on the 3.8 Buick are pretty durable, so don't presume the worst, and try the easy stuff first.

-Mark-

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would flush the system and just use water to see how the flow is by looking in the rad with the cap off.....make sure you have the engine up the operating temp so the thermostat is open and remember to put the interior heat on high when bleeding the air out of the system...if everything looks good then replace the water with the coolant mix....as far as water goes I would buy or make the distilled water and not use the crap out of your tap...

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
I just put a timing chain on my 229 Chevy, so it's fresh in my mind. If you drain your coolant into a clean bucket (and it's clean) you can put it back in after you change the thermostat. A new t-stat and cap will run you about $15 at Autozone or ?

After you get the stat in, fill up the radiator. Start the car and continue to slowly fill the radiator until it stays full, then put the cap on. Let the car idle for about 15 minutes, until it warms up to where the upper hose feels warm. Then, if the reserve tank is empty, fill it to about 2 inches above the COLD level. This is where the level should approximately be any time the engine is warm. Drive the car around for 10-15 monutes with the heat on, then re-check the level in the reserve tank.

Once the engine cools back down, the level should drop to the cold level in the reserve tank. If at any time the coolant bubbles over in to the reserve tank with the engine warm, or sucks it all out when cold, you might be in to a head gasket problem, but let's hope for the best.
-Mark-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor