cooling issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kifried

Apprentice
Feb 3, 2008
Wichita, KS
My Regal originally had a V8 307 from the factory. Then we put in an olds 350 but did not change the radiator. Would the radiator from the 307 be adequate for the new 350? My car tends to overheat or get up to around 220F. Maybe I need to add some electric fans??

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
A 307 Radiator should be fine, especially if the car had A/C originally. Did you use all of the pulleys from the same engine, or did you mix and match? What water pump are you running? How long did the 350 sit before you used it?

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
KrisW said:
A 307 Radiator should be fine, especially if the car had A/C originally. Did you use all of the pulleys from the same engine, or did you mix and match? What water pump are you running? How long did the 350 sit before you used it?

If its been sitting or even if you don't know the maintenance history of the motor, the cooling passages of the block or radiator can be gunked up. Try running some cooling system cleaner through it and then do a complete system flush. They used to sell do it your self kits that had the T's for connecting your garden hose to the cooling system to flush it. Not sure if you can still buy those or not.

Also, are you running a fan shroud? That can make a big difference. Also make sure the clutch for the fan is good if it has one.

kifried

Apprentice
Feb 3, 2008
Wichita, KS
Well to be honest I can't answer all of those questions. The car is on it's way from NY to Wichita, KS. I haven't worked on it in 6 years. But, the 350 that was put into it was torn down, machined, and rebuilt. I'd have to check when the car gets here about the waterpump. I can't remember whether the guy who built the engine ordered a new one or used one either from the 307 or what was on the 350 before it was stripped down. Also, I don't believe there is a fan shroud but I could be wrong. If there is should it be removed? ANd I think the thermostat is 180F, maybe a 165 would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor