Correct Me If Im Wrong But Ridiculously Over Priced

Status
Not open for further replies.

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
www.cardomain.com
So i went to this body shop down the road from my house the other day to get an estimate on a dent in my front fender
The dent is from a large tree limb falling on it while it was parked in the yard i bought it from
there is no crease in the metal, no paint gone from the area, and no rust on it what so over
so i got 2 estimates

First Estimate:
to repair the fender without buying a whole new one
which for some reasone included
Paint Materials
Shop Materials
Masking for overspray
Painted stripe
Labor
TOTAL COST: $714.92

Second Estimate:
To buy a whole new fender paint it and put it on
Which included
Paint Materials
Hazardous waste disposal
painted stripe
new oem fender
And mask for over spray
TOTAL COST: $657.79

HERES A PICTURE OF THE DENT AND YOU TELL ME IF IM COMPLETELY INCORRECT IN THINKING THAT THATS WAY OVER PRICED OR NOT

Attachments

• l_e633b755e83543688d16a8c21fb8f12e.jpg
    l_e633b755e83543688d16a8c21fb8f12e.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 746
sounds about average to be honest with you. I can remember when i worked at a body shop, he would charge around 600 for painting a fender, so id say it sounds pretty typical. That dent doenst look too bad, you dont think you could take the fender off and hammer it out?

the problem is that it happened ON the crease. because now its not just a 2 dimentional fix, its a 3 dimentional fix. sounds fair to me... a new painted fender should be a lil less tho.

beermonkey9417 said:
the problem is that it happened ON the crease. because now its not just a 2 dimentional fix, its a 3 dimentional fix. sounds fair to me... a new painted fender should be a lil less tho.

Exactly, that dent not only goes through a body line in the fender but the radius between the top of the fender and the side.

I'd also like to know where they are getting a "new" OEM fender?

yeah, that repair, paint-wise is in a bad spot too. it's near where the fender, door, hood and A-pillar meet which makes it problematic to color match all four. my wife put a horizontal scratch deep enough to require repair in that same area (upper part of the drivers side fender) on our E500 wagon. the first estimate we got was for $1200, and from your photo, it looks like your repair would require more work.

Yeah, I would think to make it blend with the rest of the car they'd have to feather it out down the side of the car and on the hood as well? Or maybe they wouldn't bother with it on an older car like this?

I know when my dad had a small dent (about 1" long) in his passenger side door of his '02 Sonoma, they darn near painted the whole truck so that you couldn't tell it had been repaired. Looks perfect.
Had a girlfriend once with a brand new '98 Z28 that got a few stone chips in her hood the first day she owned it. The body shop repainted the entire hood and pratically both sides of the car so that it would match.

Well for that amount of money I would take the fender off and try to repair it myself, besides if you jack it up you still be in the same boat.

FE3X CLONE said:
beermonkey9417 said:

Exactly, that dent not only goes through a body line in the fender but the radius between the top of the fender and the side.

I'd also like to know where they car getting a "new" OEM fender?

lol..the junkyard probably

that fender will take alot of work to get right. it looks like it goes through 2 or 3 body lines. that white light that follows the dent pattern is going to be a crease that will take some heat to fix when it gets pulled out most likely. im going to school to get I-CAR certified. we just did estimating and all the included stuff is right, dont know how much he's charging for each but supplies are for what he uses to fix it so hes going to charge you for it. waste material is an amout he should charge everyone for, same amout id think, to cover his fee he has to pay to get it removed. my school is charged 900 a month to remove waste so you can see where a busy body shop goes. masking should be included in the painting hours he charges though. labor is done in hours, and if hes good he might get it pulled out fast, but your still gonna pay the same hour price. say he gets 2 hours to pull a dent, he does it in 30 minutes, youre still charged for 2. thats how they make their money. if hes slow he should eat the cost and not charge for it. painting, to do it right, hes going to have to paint atleast half the hood, door, and pillar/roof to blend it like the others said. id get more that 1 shops estimate, 3 or 4 if you can, but going cheap you get what you pay for.

I'd buy my own fender somewhere and take it and have it painted and install it myself if I were in your boat. That sounds about right for having the bodywork done as it is in a hard to fix area but for something that unbolts easily its not worth it. You can save some coin by getting a fender yourself and not paying them to pull it and mark up on it and by doing the install yourself. Id buy one and then have a few shops price out the paintwork, you could even get it sanded down to save them some labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor