Could you really order these options on a wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it certainly would be a score for someone. It sounds like a rare bird. A few years back, on Ebay, I saw a '78-'79 Olds 442 fastback with a 305 Chevy and a 5-spd. So I guess 5 speed's were available as an option in these cars.
This is the first 5-spd Olds Cutlass Cruiser with factory buckets that I've ever seen, or heard about.
If it were closer, I would give it some serious consideration.

Thanks for posting it.

It's more of a modified split-bench than true bucket seats.

Definately not too many 5-speed wagons were built, but they're out there...
I believe you could even get the 5-speed behind a 260 V8.

Did they use Chevy V-8's in any of the earlier '78-'79 Oldsmobiles? I'm thinking that the car that I mentioned may have actually been a 260 V-8 with a 5-spd. I'd still take it.

Blake, I think you're right about the seat being a split bench, and not a bucket seat. I recall some police cars with these type of seats. Would they have also been considered a split bench? :?:

Randy_W said:
Same powertrain as a Grand National
. :rofl: Well the early version did get a non turbo with auto trans, but still, we know what he's implying. :wink:
========================================================================================================
Yes, I think that's exactly what he was trying to imply. :roll:

Jack, those slant-back '78-'79 442s were Chevy 305 powered, but I believe they had 4 speeds though a vast majority were equiped with automatics.
I don't think the 5-speed was ever available behind the 305.

I'd hate to think I've been living under a rock, but did they even have 5 speeds in 78-79? In the past 19 years I've been playing with g-bodies I've only seen a couple 3 spd manuals, heard of the 4 speeds, but have never seen or heard of a 5 speed in a g-body period. i didn't think the 5 speed came about until the 3rd gen f-bodies & Vettes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Blake442 said:
Yes, they did indeed build 5-speed G-bodies.

I did some digging and apparently Borg-Warner made a T-50 gearbox for the Monzas and used them in other body lines in the 70's. I'd be interested to see a factory g-body setup. It could be the beer talking, but from what I understand, this trans design was sold to Trans Tech Corp in the early 80's and is now the Tremac T5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor