Could You Retire On One Million Dollars $$ ? Can you even make 1 million?

Some things people need to learn over time for themselves. It's good..... until it isn't. There's so many stories of good money, easy money, get paid for doing little.... until that drug dealing boyfriend you mentioned brings his 3 pit bulls that piss and crap all over inside the house and yard and it's a $50,000 renovation just to be habitable again.

Once it's rented, the tenants can call the cops on YOU for showing up at your own house to trying to check up on things.

It used to be renting was a headache. Now it's a ticking nightmare waiting to blow. I've thought about buying worn out end of life mobile homes to toss on some land and rent them priced accordingly, if first/last/security covered most of the acquisition cost that MIGHT be one way to do it and if they trash it you scrap it. Dunno.

People these days aren't what they were 20 years ago....

Some reasons why I was happy to get out. I owned it 50/50 with one of my best friends, no horror story there of a falling out but I did much more of the work. Never let it effect our friendship, that means more, but we’re wired differently(initiative/motivation). We had pretty good to some great tenants, but one of the last ones helped get us thinking “do we want to do this anymore?”. And it was nothing compared to the worst case scenario’s mentioned. I feel tenants feel you out like you feel them out, if they are turds and realize you aren’t going to get walked over, they might look elsewhere. Or we just got lucky over and over again. Screening is the key and our last re-renting after the weirdo tenant moved out early issue sifting through 200+ responses and seeing the FB profiles made me see the future of how the clientele was going.

We made some money so it worked out, weathered the housing crash when we had no option but to keep it(we did live in one half for 5+ years) and had annual tax benefits but paying capital gains and depreciation recapture(that one I didn’t see coming) wiped away some of that good feeling very recently 😆. The more passive ways to make money look better as time goes on, JMHO, YMMV. And if you make it your career it can make sen$e.

I am in a high military area, buddy of mine rents to military only with a perfectly legal military clause he shared to me. Have a problem you go find that turd's First Sergeant and it's handled. He's done it for 10 years now in the same house and has had one issue that made it on the base, it was fixed in 3 days.

Yup methods may vary, I'll take the direct one. 🙂

Which on another note, the Air B&B option is a more appealing one given someone is inhabitaing the place on a weekly basis and playing damn near the mortgage in a week. Yea that's a good route to go.

Last edited:
Just so you know, if you made a steady $40,000 for 25 years, you made a million bucks. Not so hard to do.

Just so you know, if you made a steady $40,000 for 25 years, you made a million bucks. Not so hard to do.
Before or after taxes... I think the point of the initial post was could you accumulate that in savings at a certain point in time over the years.

There are some people who can barely live on 40k a year.

Reactions: RabbitHoleSS
It's not impossible. Thanks to Jimmy Carter, many my age had to start their careers in his wake of stupid monetary policies and double-digit interest rates which took several years to overcome. When you're stuck in the pool, you don't have much option except to start swimming. To be sure, now is a sucky time to start new careers in general. What's scary is some statistics say that 27% of people 59 and older haven't saved anything for retirement. And even worse for Gen Z.

As far as being a slum-lord and buying property, sure, that's one possible way. But you just tied up $1 million in liquidity into 3 pieces of real-estate which isn't always quickly turned into cash if you need it fast. And now you have to do due diligence to vet the stewards of your properties that are going to live in them and hopefully be timely with the rents. This doesn't even account for maintenance, repairs, and property management, whether you do it yourself or hire it out, and also makes your tax returns longer (and you have to declare any positive cash flow that calender year without any deferrals, which could potentially put you in a higher tax bracket).

I used to rent out our other home, which was paid for, and for me, it's simply just a PITA that I found out I didn't want or need. Of course, there's +/- to renting out your houses, but unless you're into that sort of thing, which I am not, it's definitely not a situation meant for everyone. It was a huge relief to me when we decided to sell it. Personally, I'd diversify the f**k out of that $1 million and reap in more stable income sources. But that's just me. Real estate is geographical and lately, kind of "bubbly" depending on where you live. But, you do you. If that flips your skirt, have at it. If I were going to do money grabs, apartment buildings are usually more cash flow positives.

If you have to finance any of those extra homes, though, it's going to suck. Especially if you have good credit. Thanks to "new and improved" mortgage policies coming to a bank near you on May 1, there's an even more financially stupid move coming. Some people work hard to keep their credit rating high so in the event they need to borrow, they should get the better rates. But soon, people with mediocre credit (FICO score <680) will get a better deal than you when buying a home. They say it only affects people buying second homes and non-primary residences, but I'm not so sure. Haven't read into it a lot, but basically, the higher-risk lenders are going to get subsidized by those with better credit. Just another reason to pay with cash.

Courtesy of the NY Times article https://nypost.com/2023/04/16/how-t...buyers-at-the-cost-of-those-with-good-credit/
"Under the new rules, high-credit buyers with scores ranging from 680 to above 780 will see a spike in their mortgage costs – with applicants who place 15% to 20% down payment experiencing the biggest increase in fees."

Well, it's easier to murder your credit than to keep it in the 800s if that's all it takes to get the better rate. . .

What if he's right though?

:popcorn:

Money is a social construct. It only has value because society places value on it. Otherwise its just useless green paper with pictures of dead guys on it. Money's value is based on that if can be traded for anything you want, then the trader can trade it for whatever hs wants, etc. Its why money is superior to trading goods.

With finance there are 5 main rules.

1. Money has a time value, it loses value over time.

2. There is a risk / reward tradeoff with investment. Higher rewards entitle greater risks and vice versa.

3. Cashflows are the souce of value for investments.

4. The market responds to infomation and news.

5. People respond to incentives.

There is also the concept of opportunity cost. To do one thing you most forgo something else. For example, idle cash in your home forgos earning interest on said cash.

Im banking on the world imploding by the time im in my late 30s, so for now, I'll keep working at this overgrown tire store.
wheee GIF

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor