Cowl Hood Way to big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nates84cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2009
Thomasboro, Illinois
So I have recently acquired a 78 Regal, This thing has a massive cowl hood. I believe it is 6 inches, The height doesn't bother me as much as the fact that you can open it about half way before it hits the windshield!

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with getting around that, aftermarket hinges or something. To be honest I haven't looked into it too deeply yet, I still have to trailer it home (No Motor).

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I would think that it should be a pin-on, lift-off hood. Maybe you should make it into one.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Or you could "trim" the back of the scoop so it clears...

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i would think trimming it would effect the air flow. But what do i know, i never had a cowl hood. :cry:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
3XBrownCutty said:
Or you could "trim" the back of the scoop so it clears...

X2

Trimming is the only way to get it to clear, unless you want to do away with the hinges all together and lift it off.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
... 6 inch hood and youre wanting to use the stock mounting brackets? Get some cheap hood pins. There are also kits if you want to spend $$ to have the hood lift vertically or to the front

Nates84cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2009
Thomasboro, Illinois
Not to big on hood pins. I trimmed it, only had to take an inch and a half or so off.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor