Crankshaft HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

franknitticutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2009
I have a sbc 305 in my 81 malibu and it was running ok before I decided to replace the timing chain for a gear drive. the timing was off anyway. its been sitting outside without the timing chain for a month or 2. Today im ready to get this baby running again. I bought a proform tdc tool which goes into the spark plug hole. i took my breaker bar and put the proper bolt into the crankshaft.i proceeded to turn it clockwise. i felt the crank stop so i thought it hit the tdc tool. i removed the tool and turned the crank some more. it woldnt turn, so that means it wasnt hitting the tdc tool. it was just stopping. why wont it turn anymore? do i have to remove the cam, rockers or anything in order for it to turn over? Please help

The cylinders may have some rust in them. Try spraying penetrating oil in the cylinders and see if that breaks things free.

ok. i took all of the spark plugs out and still no luck. it still only turns about 45 degrees and stops. i can hear the compression noise as im turning. is there anything else i have to loosen or take out? do i have to have the timing chain on the cam gear when i turn? is that the problem?

franknitticutlass said:
ok. i took all of the spark plugs out and still no luck. it still only turns about 45 degrees and stops. i can hear the compression noise as im turning. is there anything else i have to loosen or take out? do i have to have the timing chain on the cam gear when i turn? is that the problem?

Depending on the piston to valve clearance, you may be hitting a valve. You can try loosening all of the rockers to take the pressure off of the valves.

u shouldnt have 2 do any of that it just sounds like the cylinders have some rust soo turn it the opposite way u went and then turn it back clockwise and make sure u use a lil musclessss

305 should not hit valves. so rust in the cyl is the most likely. or something got in the intake and then fell in the cylinder but that's not too likely.
how much force are you putting on it? see how many degrees you can turn it backwards.

ok guys i got it. i just loosened the rockers like you said and everything moved freely. now the only thing left is to get "TDC". i used my tdc tool and turned the crank and with the other hand held the tdc tool. i felt the piston hit the tool. when it stopped my crank mark wasnt exactly in the middle. it was a tad to the left. i removed the tool and lined up the mark so it was in the middle. then i replaced the tool and the part of the tool which screws into the hole would barely go in. so......how do i know exactly where TDC is? the #1 piston will only stop once, right? could i be 180 degrees off?

turn the crank till it hits the tool, mark the sprocket to the block (silver sharpie works well) then turn backwards until you hit the tool, mark it. the middle between the marks is TDC, to determine compression stroke you look at the rockers. both number one valve s should be closed (if you can watch the valves. you want to watch the #1 intake open then close then turn 90* at the crank)
but i just realized that you don't need to do any of this. i assume you have the timing cover off--just turn until the mark on the cam sprocket and the crank sprocket meet up. the sprockets only mount one way, so even if things get moved before you get the new set on, it doesn't matter. just turn to position. but the above works well for the balancer if the timing marks are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor