CRAZY??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2011
Eldon Mo
Ive been eying a junk astro van with AWD. Has anyone looked into somehow putting AWD in a Gbody? I have no clue how this would work, but with time and duck tape anything is possible.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
jbake said:
Ive been eying a junk astro van with AWD. Has anyone looked into somehow putting AWD in a Gbody? I have no clue how this would work, but with time and duck tape anything is possible.
interesting idea....not sure how easy it would be but if it fits in a van, it might work under the gbody body...the front frame would have to be altered severly to allow for the axles and trans. how is the awd/engine situated in the astro? is it conventional or is the engine sitting sideways like in a fwd?

79 drag car

Greasemonkey
Jul 6, 2011
pennsylvania
im guessing you will need a new crossmember your going to probably have to let the car sit up high for clearence for the transfer case and are you planning on using a solid axle or independent this is something i would like to see

I think the 4WD conversion with an S10 has been done several times, but it always set up like a 4WD. I would like to see one that sets like a Cyclone/Typhoon. The Astro has a front sub frame only and would require grafting the two frames together. They do use the same drive components as the Bravada I think.

jbake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2011
Eldon Mo
I like the idea of an ir rear end but have no clue where to find one that would work. I'm on way now to check on the van. If sub frame is close to our frame think I can make it work. After work I'm going to go and look at the van. $400 what he wants so with little luck might have a new money pit.

jbake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2011
Eldon Mo
The All-Wheel-Drive Astro Van uses a Borg-Warner 4472 transfer case. It is a full-time four-wheel-drive transfer case that is also used in Oldsmobile Bravada, and in the All-Wheel-Drive S-10 Blazers. It was also used in the GMC Syclone and Typhoon Sport Trucks, which had 280 horsepower turbocharged and intercooled 4.3 V-6 engines. The transfer case will handle the power of 350 V-8. The All-Wheel-Drive Astro Van uses the same front differential as a 4x4 S-10 Truck.
Little more research found this. So am I wrong or can we use an s10 front axle and transfer case? Makes finding parts easier if so.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
im kind of a noob to the game, but reading this post it sounds like an absurd idea which would cost thousands of dollars and hours to do. I bet a B-Body 80s riv would be way more feasible to convert to AWD, but I cant imagine this idea actually materializing in a g-body car and I bet it would steer like sh*t!

What do I know, if you find haters motivation then go for it and post it up! I do wish you best of luck :)

jbake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 1, 2011
Eldon Mo
:rofl: Majority of the time i love for a challenge to be thrown at my feet like that. If front axle was closer to same size is just use the sub frame front and graft the 2 together and go from there with it. Just trying to think out of box. O well all I lost was couple gal of gaa n about 45 min of time. Maybe next time ill prove wife wrong n have a good idea.

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
As posted above, the astro is way too wide. However, the front frame from an S-10 is very similar to that of a G body, if you really want to try it.

I know the astro AWD vans very well, so If you have questions, let me know. The front drive axle is the same as an S-10 without the disconnect, but uses longer half shafts due to the extra width.

Main problem, the transfer case and your front seat will fight each other for the same space, and the front drive shaft will be running through between the gas and brake pedal. The driveshaft runs right by the oil filter, so look towards the back of the car next time you are under there and you'll see the problem. It would be the same with an S-10 frame, they are the same way.

It can be done, but would be a real challenge unless you want it to look like a 4x4, like about 6" of lift, but hey, then you could run 26"s.

edit: spelling only

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor