Cs130 alternator acting strange

Marinizzle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2020
Ontario
Hi, i replaced my dying 12Si alternator on my 88' cutlass classic with a brand new cs130 alternator (with PLFS plug) by connecting the S wire to battery post and L wire to the brown lamp wire (i have a idiot charge light). the car charged perfectly for about a week then gradually fell off, now it doesnt charge at all (just runs off battery)

when i try disconnecting and reconnecting the L wire, the voltage momentarly jumps to around 13.5v for half a second then falls back down. I cannot get it to stay at this voltage. i've also tried placing a 500 ohm resistor in line with these wires, it didn't make a difference.
the brown wire has 11.89 volts when key turned, alternator is grounded good and bat post has good connection to positive battery terminal. i don't know how to check the actual resistance of the brown wire.

I attatched a short video showing me disconnecting and reconnecting the wire, and you can see the light getting brighter for a split second when i connect it.

any help would be greatly appriciated and im greatful for all the help i've already recieved on this forum.

Thanks,
Vlad

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Sounds like you burnt out the regulator. It has a Zenor in it that initiates the charging process. Sounds like the alternator is not getting initiated to start charging

Pull it off and have it tested.

Last edited:

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Make sure it is grounded. During operation and loosing ground will damage the regulator.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor