Custom 350 Small block...

Status
Not open for further replies.

84Deykno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
I dont want to change my stock 350 cam, My buddy has some 97 vortec heads that he is going to let me have and I have a 88 chevy sbc engine that im putting into my 84 buick regal. I just really want to know If I slap the 97 vortec heads on my 88 Sbc 350 with the vortec intake, and a 750cfm q-jet will I be guaranteed atleast 300 horses? If not what else can I do to achieve my goal?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Change the cam. You won't hit 300 with the stock cam... best you'll get is 250-270 with any of the stock cams besides something like an LT1 or other performance cam.

neverendingmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver B.C.
cams are pretty cheap, if you're willing to do a head swap doing the cam at the same time is not very much more work. you'll already have everything stripped down it's worth it to cam it.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Plus it's a roller cam block so you wouldn't have to "break" in the new cam as well. One good cam i heard of is the LT4 cam but i'm sure any cam company could get you a good grind. Another thing to consider is upgrading the valve springs if planning to use any cam with lift over .450. Beehive springs are a little pricey but avoid machining the valve seats. I would still upgrade the heads to screw in studs vs the factory pressed in ones. While your getting the studs installed have the heads get magnafluxed. They have a tendency to crack if ran low on coolant or overheated a bit. The composite manifold bolts tend to get loose and leak coolant ,consequently overheating the engine and either warping or cracking the heads. I've had a set of heads lined up but were junk upon finding cracks.. :( Oh well i didn't spend much and have a lead on a set that has been inspected and ready to bolt on.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
In my experiences less of the early 1-piece rms blocks are flat tappet than more. I've built 3 1-piece rms motors, on my 4th, and all have been flat tappet.

A roller cam will definitely give you the most power, but the cam itself costs quite a bit more than a flat tappet. If it's not a roller, the spider and retainers will have to be bought (usually can find them on Craigslist or eBay for fairly cheap), along with OE style lifters. The GM hot cam with a set of Vortecs is good for an easy 400hp.

84Deykno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks guys but new news is I sold the Sbc and now im thinkin on getting the Lm7 from a 2000 Suburban, because they are pretty much already at 300 horses

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
That's what i Want to do is get that 5.3 and carb it because look good under a hood but the intake is 600 bucks kinda expensive

84Deykno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
87montecarlomrc said:
That's what i Want to do is get that 5.3 and carb it because look good under a hood but the intake is 600 bucks kinda expensive

Either that or the Lr4 or the Ly2....I just cant make up my mind, Im trying to figure out which would be better to swap into my 84 regal but just cant seem to find what Im looking for.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
You can get a 5.3 cheap enough, don't see much reason to go down to a 4.8. The engine itself isn't typically what breaks the bank, it's all the stuff to swap it in. An SBC will be uber-easy because they came stock in a G-Body, and since the SBC is over 50 years old they've had tons of time to make stuff for it. Consider that against the 13 years the LS motors have been going into production cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor