Custom 350 Small block...

Status
Not open for further replies.

84Deykno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Doober said:
You can get a 5.3 cheap enough, don't see much reason to go down to a 4.8. The engine itself isn't typically what breaks the bank, it's all the stuff to swap it in. An SBC will be uber-easy because they came stock in a G-Body, and since the SBC is over 50 years old they've had tons of time to make stuff for it. Consider that against the 13 years the LS motors have been going into production cars.

Yea I adore the Sbc and want to do the swap. Since I sold my old 350 had, it had a oil leak anyway and had been beat to hell. I want your opinion, and anybody else can feel free to chime in. Which Stock Sbc 350 can I swap into my Regal and have at least 270horses stock? Give me the Vehicle, the vin number and the year.
Cause Im not tryin to do a engine build I just want to swap in a Sbc 350 that can move a lil bit from factory without having to change nothing. I know cant go pass 1995, and in my opinion I dont want to go no earlier than 1984, so from 1984 to 1995 is there a Sbc 350 that comes with atleast 260-270 horses and 260-270torque?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
You won't find much anything from '84 on without it being some type of performance motor that will give you that much power... torque on the other hand will be no problem, TBI 350s make a lot of torque due to their head design. Even the Vortec motors ('96-'02 or so) are only rated at 255hp. The only engine you'll get more power (stock) from is an LT1, which will cost you quite a bit more, even if you could just buy it and drop it in. Best bet for a mild motor without using Vortecs will be either a set of L98 heads (from '82-'92 F-Bodies and Corvettes) or the TBI heads. Put a mild cam in and it will be a fun little street motor.

84Deykno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Doober said:
You won't find much anything from '84 on without it being some type of performance motor that will give you that much power... torque on the other hand will be no problem, TBI 350s make a lot of torque due to their head design. Even the Vortec motors ('96-'02 or so) are only rated at 255hp. The only engine you'll get more power (stock) from is an LT1, which will cost you quite a bit more, even if you could just buy it and drop it in. Best bet for a mild motor without using Vortecs will be either a set of L98 heads (from '82-'92 F-Bodies and Corvettes) or the TBI heads. Put a mild cam in and it will be a fun little street motor.

In my case, hp really doesnt matter I dont know why I keep saying that. Torque,Torque,Torque is wat im after. I come from a 160hp honda with 120 lbs of torque. From which type of car can I get a Sbc 350 with considerable torque, you said "torque on the other hand will be no problem" so just off the head list me a few options. Im pretty sure If I just put a regular Sbc 350 into my Regal ima have a blast. Just want to know my options tho.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
In that case for a budget torque motor I'd go with a TBI-era 350 any day over any other 350 since the '80s. The cams in them are tiny though (they don't call it a 'peanut' cam for nothing :p), so I would upgrade that, even to a cheap
Do you have emissions? If not, you can get just about any intake you want... unless you want to try to add the TBI computer & whatnot to the car (some G-Bodies came with TBI motors, and a TBI 350 is a direct swap for them as far as the computer & wiring are concerned). If you're sticking with a carb, the easiest thing would be to get a non-CCC (computer-controlled carb) or an aftermarket square-bore carb, and be sure to use the correct distributor too (the TBI v8 distributor requires the computer, so a traditional vacuum advance one will needed with a carb here). One of the differences about the 1-piece RMS (basically all 4.3s and v8s from '87 on) is they have a counterweight on the flywheel... not a big deal, just something to remember so you don't get the wrong one. Far as the cam goes, I would stay with something mild, that keeps the powerband from idle on up... something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3702/

I'd stick with a wider LSA too while you're looking, it will help with torque down low... power won't be as high, but like you said that's not the overall goal. The motor I'm working on building right now is actually going to be a 383, TBI-fueled, with TBI heads. Probably won't make a ton of power, but I'm expecting a LOT of torque, at least 450-460lb.ft.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i think a lt1 out of a caprice had 260ish stock? and i think you can get a 3 wire hook up harness for the efi for a few hundred bucks.... lots of power and good gas milage for cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor