Custom AUTOMeter Gauge Panel - Stock Shadow Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
Ok guys so been restoring an 83' SS with my son and after deciding we wanted to do away with the factory gauge cluster and searching all over the net for ideas and or options for 3-3/4' & 2-1/16 comp gauges this is the solution we came up with. Using CAD one day at work (it was a slow day what can I say :)) I drew up a mounting plate and had it laser cut from 1/8" 6061 aluminum. We then purchased a new stock shadow box from MIkes Montes, mounted the aluminum plate and cut away the shadow box interference. Once the gauges were mounted we had to remove material from the back of the housing that the shadow box mounted to because the gauges were too deep- We plan to use an end center console gauge pod for mounting the oil pressure and temperature gauges.
IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG

Reactions: 8 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
It looks Ok,but,IMO,two of your most important gauges are out of your line of sight.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
It looks Ok,but,IMO,two of your most important gauges are out of your line of sight.
Guy

Yeah, what he said.

When I installed a quartet of AutoMeter gauges in the 'side pod' of my Grand Prix, it was very obvious that one of them (the lower left) would be mostly blocked by the steering wheel. Easy decision: that was where I placed the fuel gauge. The two spots with the best visibility got the oil pressure and coolant temp gauges.

I am not saying this to be a jerk. After all, it looks like you still have time to put a different gauge there. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nicely done, but where will you install the water temp and oil pressure gauges?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I built my dash I wanted all of the important gauges directly in front of me, so instead of a "shadow box" I made multiple aluminum plates to make full use of the Monte dash, many people switch over to a GP dash which is perfect for adding gauges but I like the look of the Monte dash.
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_0456.jpg

• Indifferent
Reactions: 8 users
Nice!

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Ok guys so been restoring an 83' SS with my son and after deciding we wanted to do away with the factory gauge cluster and searching all over the net for ideas and or options for 3-3/4' & 2-1/16 comp gauges this is the solution we came up with. Using CAD one day at work (it was a slow day what can I say :)) I drew up a mounting plate and had it laser cut from 1/8" 6061 aluminum. We then purchased a new stock shadow box from MIkes Montes, mounted the aluminum plate and cut away the shadow box interference. Once the gauges were mounted we had to remove material from the back of the housing that the shadow box mounted to because the gauges were too deep- We plan to use an end center console gauge pod for mounting the oil pressure and temperature gauges. View attachment 79193 View attachment 79194 View attachment 79195 View attachment 79196
I think it's awsome that you and your son designed and built a custom cluster yourselves that works for you in your application. Keep up the good work!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor