-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
THIS IS MINE IN MY 1982 CUTLASS. ITS OUT OF A 1979 CUTLASS BUT I CUSTOMIZED IT!

Attachments

• 20140327_160316.jpg
    20140327_160316.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 683
  • 20140327_160323.jpg
    20140327_160323.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 647

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Who do you guys recommend getting the carbon fiber vinyl from...and what brand? I also want to do my gauge surround and console shifter top plate.

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
I GOT SOME TECK WRAP FROM OFF EBAY FOR THE LOW AND NOW I KNOW WHY. IT WAS THIN ANDFLIMSY AND VERY HARD TO WORK WITH. THE STICKY BACK STARTED DRYING UP SOON AS YOU PEEL THE PAPER OFF THE BACK.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Kiko, what type of material did you use to build up the front sides of the console at the upper area, where the sides of the console go up to meet the bottom of the dash?

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Longroof79 said:
Who do you guys recommend getting the carbon fiber vinyl from...and what brand? I also want to do my gauge surround and console shifter top plate.

What I did was create a CAD template for the dash and console, then sent it off to Gemico in Florida (http://www.gemico.net). They use real carbon fibre and have several different finishing options, including plain, gel coated, etc.

Carbon Fibre Dash Panel

clean8485 said:
Kiko, what type of material did you use to build up the front sides of the console at the upper area, where the sides of the console go up to meet the bottom of the dash?

I used various thicknesses of ABS panels reinforced with fiberglass mesh. Then, after sanding, I finished it off with Bondo, then more sanding and finally covered it with black leather.

Console Construction (1)

Console Construction (2)

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Kiko, Thanks for the info, and for posting the extra photos. I have a GP console that I'd like to install in my Monte, and I'm looking for ideas on how to make it blend into the Monte dash a bit better. A couple more questions-where do you get the ABS material, and when you did the bondo work, did you fill in the fake molded in stitching around the upper edge of the console, before you covered it with the leather? Thanks again for your help.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
OK Kiko, I went back over the photos that you posted on the previous page. After magnifying the photos, I can see that you did fill in that stitching before you covered the console.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
The best place to get ABS is to find an outfit that creates custom signs (i.e., office signs, convention center signs, etc.). I buy my material locally here in Ottawa in bigger sheets, various thicknesses, then cut to spec.

Yes, I did fill in the fake molded stitching around the upper edge of the console (see "Console Construction (2) pic above). The biggest problem is making sure bondo sticks to the plastic. What I end up doing is brushing on some adhesion promoter, then spread some fibreglass resin. I find that the bondo sticks better and does not chip off as easily.

Hope this helps.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
So you actually used "real" carbon fiber, not the faux stuff that's applied with a heat gun. It's no wonder it looks so good.... :D
The gauge bezel and console top plate look absolutely amazing.

Now that I look at your console more closely, I see how you've reshaped it. Generally the GP console is flat on top where it merges into the dash. That looks a lot better. I was originally thinking of using a GP console, but somehow don't like the way it goes straight into (underneath) the dash. That's where you added the ABS and therefore changed the contour. 8) very clever. :wink:

Once again I commend you on your attention to detail.
Thanks again for adding more pics and explaining the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor