Custom exhaust systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i know pypes makes electric cutouts that bolt to the header flange and somebody makes an X-pipe with the cutouts built in at the header side

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Your going to have a hard time fitting all of that in. An X-pipe takes is fairly long. And you'll want the cutouts right after the headers. Doing turndowns will make it a lot easier though.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Yeah I'll just be using the manual (screw off plate) cutouts, or I could use those mufflers that have the plate that unscrews to make it a straight through.

Thanks for the information about the X pipe before the mufflers, I wasn't sure if it mattered.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
A properly built / sized system with mandrel bent pipes a good X pipe design and a straight thru type muffler design leaves nothing to be gained from cutouts except noise.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
A lot of people dont realise how important it is to place the X-pipe or H-pipe in the right location. If it's too far back or too close to the headers it won't be as efficient. Location is everything. As far as cutouts its mostly about the noise but I can't blame you having cutouts would be nice and intimidating at the track. However its almost as easy to unbolt your headers at the flange as it is to remove those plates. But its up to you. Those cutouts also hinder ground clearance. Thats why I didn't run them on my setup. If your going to be trailering your car it might be tough not to catch the cutouts when your driving up. Those flanges stick down a little bit lower than the rest of the exhaust. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor