Custom Hood

Discussion in 'Restoration and Restification' started by 84sscutty, Jan 22, 2011.

?

To deflect or not to deflect

1. Flat Hood

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Cowl Hood

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Deflector Hood

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FE3X CLONE

FE3X CLONE Comic Book Super Hero

I didn't say they don't keep or line up with the body lines but rather aesthetically don't flow with the rest of the car or its overall body shape.

2. sleepycutlasscruzer

sleepycutlasscruzer Greasemonkey

cowl hoods are good but i think if you put some thought into a design of your own you'd be happier with the end result. p.s. i love my gbody but that blue camaro is sick!

3. Burnhard

Burnhard Master Mechanic

I have not found a hood that looks good on a Olds G body,I'm going with a rare alum hood and a ram air set up.There has not been a hood that flows well with the olds G body other than the stock hood.If I had to put a hood on that was not factory I would say a 1" cowl hood looks okay.

4. H2O gbodies

H2O gbodies Apprentice

I posted this in another thread but here's my "scoop" I fabricated to clear some of my brake upgrade-I wanted a look that was custom but still looked factory. It also keeps with the natural curvy body lines of the 3rd gen Montes too-which happens to be my favorite body style!

My next 79 Monte is getting a custom hood treatment as well-in the form of a complete Shaker setup pirated from a 1974 Pontiac Ventura! That is gonna be fun!

Attached Files:

5. Bowiemontecarlo86

Bowiemontecarlo86 G-Body Guru

All those hood ideas look cool to me. But I also like Cowl hoods along as they don't go over 3" tall.

6. xitabl442

xitabl442 Master Mechanic

My brother made foam core for a rear wing. He used some blue foam insulation (made for basement walls I think) available from the local lumber yard. It is available 1"-4" thick. I think he started grooming it with a wire wheel and finished the work with sanding blocks. You can't lay the resin directly onto the foam though, it melts it.
    I thought about making a W-30 style hood scoop that would set in between the body lines and also fill the molding groove. I considered a shaker hood, but Olds never had a shaker that I remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.