Cutlass Drag Car 85 442

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I scored a set of Jegs Wheels with some 255- 60- 15 Drag Radials and put them on the car. pretty consistent 1.97, 1.98 60' runs a consistent 8.50's in hot humid Pennsylvania air. I have managed to get it into the mid 13's and edging 100-101 mph. the exhaust has been heavily modified, and i also had to swap oil pans . otherwise. just racing and having a good time even got into the money the past two weekends. here is my best overall timeslip to date and race day at Maple Grove sporting a set of Centerline Convo Pro's, and some Mid 13's at 100+
Glad to see you're out there having fun. Don't let your ego overrun your pockets. I sometimes wish I had a mid 10 second car and could just go racing when I wanted. I enjoyed engine building, and what started out as an 11.20 car turned into an 8.80 car over 20 years and just got to be no fun anymore.

Reactions: 1 user

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Glad to see you're out there having fun. Don't let your ego overrun your pockets. I sometimes wish I had a mid 10 second car and could just go racing when I wanted. I enjoyed engine building, and what started out as an 11.20 car turned into an 8.80 car over 20 years and just got to be no fun anymore.
Thanks for the kind words and advice. I am having a blast! the car is a solid 8.5 (1/8) 13.5 (1/4) I do some "horse trading" here and there to keep costs down. Raced my arse off this past weekend. raced well on Saturday, but not quite good enough. Raced very well on Sunday against two tough cars that were ahead of me in the points Pitched the fan belt in round two, but I won the race. Sadly, I somehow picked up a stutter, (might have been bad or low fuel). and went out in round three. Now for the best news... the track is taking 9 cars in my class the the Finals I was 11 on Sunday morning and wound up tied for 9th, We are having a tiebreaker on Sunday to see who represents the track not too shabby for an old rookie in my first year of points racing

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Racing, having fun, battling, nothing wrong with that.

Best of luck on Sunday.

• Agree

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
End of the season, a few milestones... quickest and fastest - 13.16 @ 104.49 One runner up trophy, and a few times I ran well enough to get paid . The only thing I broke was a fan belt!

Got a new project in the works... Going from 4X4 back to stock RWD Chassis
The Jeep chassis is junk. the AMC engine needs rebuilt, and i would rather race this down the track Parting it out, wheels are already sold

Attachments

• SBRA22.jpg
    SBRA22.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 104mph.jpg
    104mph.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4398.PNG
    IMG_4398.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5360.JPG
    IMG_5360.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: 3 users

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
We started out the year struggling. bad valve adjustment, bad alternator, rusty reaction time...
But , I am here to say, that I have gotten the valve train back on track, replaced the alternator, and even replaced the hacked exhaust for a better design. And , with the almost completely worn 255/60/15 ET Street S/S 's we can still get down the track, but I had a set of 275/60/15 Drag Radial Pro's that did not slow the car down. Starting to go a few more rounds at each event , the car is very consistent at the 8.48 mark ( Ran a 13.32@102 A Beaver Springs as well)
All I have to do now, is Find that TREE! Other news, Project El Jefe ate up a lot of winter, so, it is not getting the attention it was in the off season. AND there is El Jefe2 (891ecccc) in the shop! I think I am going to Cage it and run it LS/Turbo El Heffe 2 is the 6.0 for the blue one See ya in the finals!
1686170346731.png

Attachments

• 81ecccc.jpg
    81ecccc.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 62
  • El Heffe 2.jpg
    El Heffe 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • Wow

John Wm. Zick

Drag Racer Forever !!!
Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2021
Winter Haven, Florida
Sorry I haven't been on the site for a while. Bunch of "Life sh*t" got in the way. Been having to do equipment (personal) repairs.... 850 John Deere and an EZGO work kart. I'm having to convert the kart over to a GM ignition as the orig crap is Sooo touchy, and expensive! I watched several u-tube site's about converting it over, but I have the ign. module out of my old 83 Cutlass distrib. Unlike the unit that they show to use; my output side has several "blades" instead of the normal 2. I know that it was the work of an "engineer" at gm in ; I presume spark control ???? Any thoughts ?? Jack & Oleta

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
1694528886254.png
1694528905227.png

Too much going on this year, but the Final Results are in!
I made it to #1 in Points in the NHRA Sportsman Class at my Home track!
Even earned an entry to the exclusive Race of Champions
G Body's rule!

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
End of Season recap: Went to NHRA Northeast Division Finals at Numidia Raceway, was running dead nuts consistent 8.55 in the 1/8 and missed a shift/ shifted too late, and I think I over revved the engine, went 8.59 and lost...the car was hurt. Could not Launch after that, just stumble and die, lot of misfiring and other maladies. went out in the First round of Race of Champions, and went out in the first round of NHRA Competition ( A Black Cutlass won out and is the Sportsman class winner for Northeast Division, and runner up for the National Finals held in Vegas last week) On to Southern Bracket finals, and a rebuilt carb , which, helped, but the car still is unpredictable. made a crappy 8.66 pass and then with an 8.60 on the window, went a perfect 8.5000

Winter is coming, so a teardown and refresh are in the works ( OR maybe steal the 6.0LS from the El Camino project....

• Sad

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Just found this thread. Pretty cool adventure you've had. I'm hoping for something similar with mine.

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
Just found this thread. Pretty cool adventure you've had. I'm hoping for something similar with mine.
Awesome! It really doesn't take much to get a car together and go to your local track and have fun! The Racing community is filled with very good people that will help out, offer advice and get you having a great time! Gbody cars are plentiful and make great racecars! I am working on an El Camino as well for next season ( This Cutlass has been treating me well, so I hate to sideline it for another car. Who knows, maybe i will just buile the EC for a street car, and keep racing the Olds) Good Luck!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor