Cutlass head gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hflaack95

n00b
Mar 6, 2016
So I've never replaced head gaskets before but I decided I'd like to try and do it myself on my '86 Cutlass Supreme with an olds 307. I'm still disassembling everything so that I can start breaking down the actual engine and I've come across a dilemma. The A/C compressor's bracket is attached to the passenger side head. I would rather not remove the compressor so I don't risk breaking any of the hard lines or having to get the lines refilled so I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the heads without removing the compressor. Can I remove the bracket and hold the compressor in place with the lines still attached? Also if I do have to remove the compressor how do you evacuate the lines? I thought that it was dangerous to just remove a line while it was still pressurized. Any info on what I need to do and how to do it would be greatly appreciated

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Bungee cords (the black rubber ones) are your friend. They will hold it out of the way, and you can leave the system charged. Just be careful moving it, it is heavy and the aluminum portion of the lines are easily bent kinked.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As said, move the lines out of way and secure them. Are the head gaskets leaking?

Hflaack95

n00b
Mar 6, 2016
Thanks for the advice about the bungee chords. I'm gonna try that today. Also, ya they're leaking. I don't really notice coolant leaking out of the engine too much but it's dissappearing somewhere and I have some carbon buildup so I know oil is leaking into the cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor