Cutlass shift linkage spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Can anyone tell me what the spring on the shift linkage does. (Pic attached) Or is the washer on my shift linkage rusted in place?

I'm building a custom linkage to keep my column shift and also keep my headers. I know I'm weird wanting to keep the column shift.

Thank you,
bitterman

Attachments

• 20180426_161126.jpg
    20180426_161126.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 167

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
It applies pressure in the linkage from the column down to the transmission. There should also be a plastic bushing at the end of the spring to allow for the pivoting motion. I may be wrong, but I think in order to keep a firm feel for the shifter and to take any slack out these parts are necessary for a stock setup. I like my column shift and bench seat.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I stand corrected. The plastic bushing piece goes on the opposite end of that lever and fits into a 'pivot socket bracket thingy' mounted on the car. The spring keeps some resistance on the contraption to keep things snug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor