cutlass wont shift to reverse. goes forward in neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldspower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2011
hi last night i put my 81 cutlass v6 into reverse and it wouldnt back up so i thought i could put it in neutral and push it back but it started going forward..anyone hae any idea what this is???

washingtonb2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2010
It could be that your gear indicator is just wrong. When you have it in reverse, it is really in neutral. and when you have it in neutral, it is really in drive. It is like that on a lot of cutlass. Just put it between park and reverse looking at the indicator and see what happens. I have the same problem with mine.

oldspower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2011
i thought that..but then it has never done that before??? it was always normal before last night??

Conan-64

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Southeastern PA.
did you just go thru the gears and make sure everything is there..? it could be just as easy as the drive indicator not lineing up right as previosly suggested. i will say a have bought a couple g bodys in the past with no revesre gear.

washingtonb2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2010
That is how it always is. It happens out of the blue. It comes from the collar being loose where the shifter is. If you can twist it left to right with ur hand, you will see what I am talking about.

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
I had something similar happen years back... I was beating my ride and when i was done it had no reverse and neutral went forward aqnd park well the engine wouldn't rev pass the stall coverter. The trans shop said it doesn't happen often but once in a while the forward clutches burn and freeze together... not good .. if this happend to you start looking for a new transmission or someone to rebuild yours. :(

oldspower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2011
yah it moves back and forth about a quarter inch or so. how do i fix tihs problem?

oldspower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2011
rockss good thing ive been wanting to do a ls1 swap in huh haha maybe nows a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor