Cylinder head help

purple78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2022
so I bought these heads off a guy to clean up and use for my 78 Monte but i was just going off the pictures the guy sent me (stupid decision on my part) and they looked good in the pics so I had a friend of mine pick them up for me and drop them off for me but after seeing them in person I feel like this kid might’ve burned me on them could someone with a little bit more knowledge on the subject give me an idea if these could be cleaned up good and used or if they’re gonna have to be gone through any help would be much appreciated 7451B813-966D-4E1F-B312-0AD58564F90A.jpeg
D4BE6B90-A4CF-4CFD-9C5E-C6B574A59DAB.jpeg
9D535B00-EA62-4C22-8533-CA130CE8423C.jpeg
959774FF-7177-477C-AD68-6FE0D4DD6E3A.jpeg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A cast number will be helpful. Plus these may have an issue with the passenger side manifold as these have the earlier/standard six bolt pattern. '78 up used the later seven bolt pattern as the new for '78 passenger side manifold rear bolt doesn't line up with the standard patteren.

purple78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2022
A cast number will be helpful. Plus these may have an issue with the passenger side manifold as these have the earlier/standard six bolt pattern. '78 up used the later seven bolt pattern as the new for '78 passenger side manifold rear bolt doesn't line up with the standard patteren.
Cast number 3998991 the motor in the car isn’t original to the car it’s a late 60’s to early 70’s block

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
76 cc chambers .... what are you building? i hope its not a performance engine.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Definitely not performance heads; the rocker studs are pressed in, not screwed and show no signs of being pinned. Also look to be the skinnier 3/8ths versions. Not seeing any immediate tell-tale signs of damage but they do need a major bath and delousing. From how the valves seem to sit on their seats it may be that these heads have never seen a rebuilder, which is both good and bad because it begs the question of why the old owner dismounted them and benched them.
As pointe out above, they are not performance heads and, unless they are all you have to play with, will take serious shop time and $$$ to get back into useable condition. One option would be to use them as trade in cores and go see if you can find a rebuilder that will take them in exchange for something that will work better for you. Again, think $$$$ versus need.

Another option is to hit the Summit or Edelbrock catalogues, or even Rock Auto, and see what can be had for the price you can afford to spend.

Nick

purple78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2022
76 cc chambers .... what are you building? i hope its not a performance engine.
It’s a pretty mild 355 but from what I’ve found these heads with flat top pistons will make pretty decent compression
Definitely not performance heads; the rocker studs are pressed in, not screwed and show no signs of being pinned. Also look to be the skinnier 3/8ths versions. Not seeing any immediate tell-tale signs of damage but they do need a major bath and delousing. From how the valves seem to sit on their seats it may be that these heads have never seen a rebuilder, which is both good and bad because it begs the question of why the old owner dismounted them and benched them.
As pointe out above, they are not performance heads and, unless they are all you have to play with, will take serious shop time and $$$ to get back into useable condition. One option would be to use them as trade in cores and go see if you can find a rebuilder that will take them in exchange for something that will work better for you. Again, think $$$$ versus need.

Another option is to hit the Summit or Edelbrock catalogues, or even Rock Auto, and see what can be had for the price you can afford to spend.

Nick
the story I got was these were on a 350 in this kids brothers c10 pickup and he was driving what sounded like daily up until a couple months ago when his brother managed to put a connecting rod through the oil pan

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
if money is tight or that's all you have then go for it. but honestly they are not worth even cleaning up. you can get almost any center bolt valve cover style head and put them on stock and do 100 times better than what you have

• Agree

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Haven't seen these in a while. Had a set on a 327 given to me in boxes back in 86. Basic oem 60s variety. Not bad but not great. Need to check for cracks and install hardened seats. These were prior unleaded by about 15 years.

On the Monte and if not going over 3500 there or about, go with the HO305 heads. .488 lift/230 duration, 4 relief flat tops, air gap and 650 4bbl. Will make nice street car.

I hope you didn't pay too much.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor