Damn headliners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrJohnston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2009
S.W. Missouri
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
My headliner is finished and installed as of today!!!! Hooray!!! It turned out...well... less than perfect. The color is a little off, and I got a small fold in it. Plus, somehow, I got depressions in it from my fingers pushing out the fabric. I guess I put too much pressure on it. Meh, at least it is blue and not falling on my head...

The impressions of your fingers will come out over time with the heat of the day, and if they don't just take a clothes iron that has steam and use the steam to pull them out. Just don't let the face of the iron touch the headliner material.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
JrJohnston said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
My headliner is finished and installed as of today!!!! Hooray!!! It turned out...well... less than perfect. The color is a little off, and I got a small fold in it. Plus, somehow, I got depressions in it from my fingers pushing out the fabric. I guess I put too much pressure on it. Meh, at least it is blue and not falling on my head...

The impressions of your fingers will come out over time with the heat of the day, and if they don't just take a clothes iron that has steam and use the steam to pull them out. Just don't let the face of the iron touch the headliner material.

Thanks. I was hoping that was the case. I thought about using the iron, but figured I would let time take it's toll. Sadly, the little crease (about 1-2 in in length) will not come out. However, it's in the back and I am not too concerned with it. It seems that no matter how many headliners I do, I always get one small crease somewhere. I guess I should have pulled it back up and tried to get it out.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
dan2286 said:
My headliner used to have some tacks. They would fall down on the driver seat and I would end up sitting on them :shock:
Hahahaaaa! same thing happened to me, it was a REAL pain in the *ss until i bought a ABS molded plastic headliner with matching visors. I will never have to worry about the headliner for the life of the car now.

JrJohnston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2009
S.W. Missouri
84GP455 said:
dan2286 said:
My headliner used to have some tacks. They would fall down on the driver seat and I would end up sitting on them :shock:
Hahahaaaa! same thing happened to me, it was a REAL pain in the *ss until i bought a ABS molded plastic headliner with matching visors. I will never have to worry about the headliner for the life of the car now.

Ya think? LOL

The bad thing about the pre-covered ABS headliner boards is that the headliner material does fall within a year or 2. If it does fall just pull it back out and sand the ABS board with 80 grit sandpaper and clean it off real good and then recover it. I re-covered about 15-20 of those last year.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
With tacks I was never caught off guard,every time i'd open the door I'd look before i sat :mrgreen:

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Since you guys mentioned tacks I thought I'd show you this. My friend has a cutlass supreme and his headliner was tacked together. if done in an orderly way (placing the tacks in perfect square shapes) then you can get a really cool effect that looks similar to the seats of a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Think of having this pattern on your roof:
31199430007_large.jpg

So basically its letting the headliner sag between the tacks to make a nice custom look. Plus, depending on the colour of the tacks you can get a nice theme for your interior.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Aaah, yes. The 1980's Cadillac with the pimpmobile interior option! Put it on some 13 in wires, lean the seats all the sway back crank up some old skool rap and you're there.

JrJohnston

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2009
S.W. Missouri
blizack said:
Since you guys mentioned tacks I thought I'd show you this. My friend has a cutlass supreme and his headliner was tacked together. if done in an orderly way (placing the tacks in perfect square shapes) then you can get a really cool effect that looks similar to the seats of a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Think of having this pattern on your roof:
31199430007_large.jpg

So basically its letting the headliner sag between the tacks to make a nice custom look. Plus, depending on the colour of the tacks you can get a nice theme for your interior.

Those seats are a nightmare to redo, I bid a set of them at $2,100.00 thinking that it would be too much money for them. But damn it I had to redo them anyways, then I found out I was the cheapest of 4 bids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor