Dash bezel upgrade, light switch knob help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

85gbody

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2010
Long Beach, Cali.
I was wondering if anyone has done this upgrade for the dash bezel to the 86-87 one with the headlight switch only and no windshield wiper switch before. I found a solution to the windshield wiper, im going to cut out a spot and install a 3 position rocker switch. The problem i came across is that headlight switch knob does not fit the hole of the newer bezel because it is smaller
image.jpg
the current knob (above) has a bigger hole inlet in the bezel, bottom has a smaller hole, i can install the knob but once its on the switch i cant remove it without taking off the bezel which would force me to break it to take it off.
image.jpg
anyone have a solution or use a different knob?
image.jpg

bent1973

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2014
DFW
I was wondering if anyone has done this upgrade for the dash bezel to the 86-87 one with the headlight switch only and no windshield wiper switch before. I found a solution to the windshield wiper, im going to cut out a spot and install a 3 position rocker switch. The problem i came across is that headlight switch knob does not fit the hole of the newer bezel because it is smaller View attachment 39585 the current knob (above) has a bigger hole inlet in the bezel, bottom has a smaller hole, i can install the knob but once its on the switch i cant remove it without taking off the bezel which would force me to break it to take it off. View attachment 39587 anyone have a solution or use a different knob?
View attachment 39590

When I did mine I hunted forever to find a bezel with the wipers on the dash and the Large Hole for the knob. I may have a small knob switch laying around but I had the same problem. Plus I wanted to keep the rear defrost.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Doesn't the headlight switch in the newer cluster use the same actual switch assembly? Does it use the same kind of button on the side of the older ones to release the knob and shaft? Could you just use the knob/rod from the 86+ cluster, or did that not come with your new dash?

85gbody

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2010
Long Beach, Cali.
Doesn't the headlight switch in the newer cluster use the same actual switch assembly? Does it use the same kind of button on the side of the older ones to release the knob and shaft? Could you just use the knob/rod from the 86+ cluster, or did that not come with your new dash?
I believe it does use the same switch assembly but i didnt know there was a different knob/rod in the 86+ cluster till yourself and OD Showtime responded, which is what i was trying to figure out.
The 86 and newer headlight knob is smaller...I've got several here if you need one.
I came across on ebay last night, that said "86-87 knob" seems like the back of the knob is a bit fatter, but might be smaller because you cant tell the size in a pic, can someone confirm?
image.jpg
image.jpg

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Both those pics look to be the 86 and newer style...and would work with the black bezel you have.

I'd do $15 shipped on one I have here....

85gbody

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2010
Long Beach, Cali.
Both those pics look to be the 86 and newer style...and would work with the black bezel you have.

I'd do $15 shipped on one I have here....
If yours looks in decent shape like these im willing to help you make a sale since you helped me out. Send me a message please, its been a while ive used gbodyforum on a phone so im not too good at moving around the site away from a computer.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
If yours looks in decent shape like these im willing to help you make a sale since you helped me out. Send me a message please, its been a while ive used gbodyforum on a phone so im not too good at moving around the site away from a computer.

PM (conversation) sent.

bent1973

Apprentice
Jul 18, 2014
DFW
O.D. Showtime is Legit, I've dealt with him before and was happy with the items he sent.

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
:cool:He's repatriated some G-body parts for me. If Kevin's offering stuff on the Forum, it's worth having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor