Dash & gauge illumination bulb replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus84

Master Mechanic
Aug 8, 2008
Fidalgo Island,Washington
This has probly been answered plenty of times,but is there replacement dash/gauge illumination replacement bulbs that are recommended for brighter illumination w/o being too hot? This would be for my 84 Elky,that I got full gauges for an '84, from an '87 El Camino

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
168 I believe is the original bulb, Sylvania's replacement chart shows 161, 168 and 194 bulbs.

maximus84

Master Mechanic
Aug 8, 2008
Doober said:
168 I believe is the original bulb, Sylvania's replacement chart shows 161, 168 and 194 bulbs.
Thanks. I heard somewhere that an LED swap isnt a good idea?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Unless they're a wide angle, and you have the lighter colored surfaces of the inside of the cluster painted a reflective color, probably not. I'd still like to give it a shot though.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
If you're gonna use LEDs here's a trick. Take some sand paper and rough up the whole surface of the LED. That way the light will spread out more instead of being concentrated to one spot.

maximus84

Master Mechanic
Aug 8, 2008
Phoenyx said:
If you're gonna use LEDs here's a trick. Take some sand paper and rough up the whole surface of the LED. That way the light will spread out more instead of being concentrated to one spot.
I think I'll stick with standard bulbs,I guess.Stick to the numbers listed above? Or are there brighter versions...is 194 a brighter one than 168?-I also need to take the pod apart to see about the painting mentioned.Since its out of the Elky waiting to be installed & swapped with the 84's idiot lite version,nows a good time for everything to get done.I would assume new sending units need to be purchased.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Another thing for you to check is the area around the light too. It's designed to reflect the light so it illuminates the whole guage. But over the years these can get really dusty, or turn brown from the bulbs. And that's why most of the older cars guages are so dim.

So a good cleaning (and re-paint if needed) is a good idea. Since you will already have part of the dash apart anyway.

And if you do decide to repaint. Don't try and paint it a cool color to make ur guage lights a different color. I have tried this many times over the years and it NEVER works. Paint it the original color (usually a really pale light green) or just got with a bright white. If you want color, get the colored bulbs. But be warned, they won't be nearly as bright as with white.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Spray paint works the best, but you gotta do some masking. I forget what brand, anything should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor