dash recover

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
This is a short write up of the dashboard re-vynl that my wife and I did on my GMC and the thumbnails

As you can see there is the dash, in its original glory. It was starting to crack really bad plus I always hated the three tone brown interior of the car.

This is the after shot. I had to jam it in before anything was ready to take a pic. The previous owner was allergic to masking tape :wtf: and painted over all the chrome on the car + half of the plastic interior around the door jams glass, blinkers, tires ect... This whole project started because I can make things look better (starting with a razor blade and a scrub pad)

Here is the ugly part where things were stressful. the part before the intricate cuts.

I found it easiest to do small shots of glue and only focus on sticking one part at a time. I started in the top middle and went straight down to the heater/radio box then left then to the right side. I had help the entire time which made it real easy.

This is another small step. I think a little heat would've sped up the process of drying and molding the material.

I did the cover here and I shouldn't have. after it was done it closed the tiny gap around the edges and its a tight shut. I'm not too sure how long it'll last under normal operating wear. Hindsight I would've painted it black I think because it never had vynl on it to begin with. Looks really good though covered. Same with the piece that covers the bottom of the steering shaft and has a vent in it. I never took pictures of it and I put gauges there.

This is my upholstery shop. Notice its a pool table on my back porch. All my previous experience stems from "I think I seen a guy do this before"

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
sweet, that looks really good, how much material where you working with?...what did you do about the cracks before you put the new material over? I'm interested in doin the same to my dash, it's not too badly cracked...it looks like you were applying fiberglass resin over the dash in the last pic

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
I originally got 2.5 yards because it was on sale but I think I could have got away with 2. I think the total for the vynl was around $60 the contact cement I got was $20 The paint brush I used was $2. Other than the time it cost under $100 to do.

as for taking care of the cracks....I covered them with black vynl. :rofl: They were just starting to crack and not yet protruding out. If you had large craters in your dash they would be slightly visible. The cracks that I had (which werent all too bad) disappeared.
All I did to prep the dash was clean it really well. That picture is the application of contact cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor