Dash removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
So this weekend I started trying to remove my dash. I want to tidy up the wiring. Install the KLE /push button start and have space for putting the A/c box back in. After watching Hutch’s video he shows pulling it with the harness attached. Can the dash be pulled leaving the harness in the car? Since it’s the daily I need that stuff to stay while I fix all the cracks and do the a/c stuff.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
So this weekend I started trying to remove my dash. I want to tidy up the wiring. Install the KLE /push button start and have space for putting the A/c box back in. After watching Hutch’s video he shows pulling it with the harness attached. Can the dash be pulled leaving the harness in the car? Since it’s the daily I need that stuff to stay while I fix all the cracks and do the a/c stuff.
Yes, the dash can be pulled w/the wiring still in the car. You'll just need to make sure there are no clips attached to the dash holding wires as you remove it from the car.

I drove one of my old El Camino's around w/no dash for several weeks while I reworked the a/c stuff (non-a/c car that I swapped OE a/c into).

Reactions: 2 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Yes, the dash can be pulled w/the wiring still in the car. You'll just need to make sure there are no clips attached to the dash holding wires as you remove it from the car.

I drove one of my old El Camino's around w/no dash for several weeks while I reworked the a/c stuff (non-a/c car that I swapped OE a/c into).
Awesome! Going to try and hit some more this weekend. I figured worst case I’ll pull it with the dash then removed it from the dash and just mount it temporarily while I worked on the a/c and cracks on the dash.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Push the speedometer cable into the fire wall to give you space to pull the cluster away. and Make sure there is nothing that will make contact with the harness connector while you drive around.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Push the speedometer cable into the fire wall to give you space to pull the cluster away. and Make sure there is nothing that will make contact with the harness connector while you drive around.
And..... Document/know your gas volume before venturing out & about. I just kept mine topped off regularly while operating it w/no gauges.

Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
And..... Document/know your gas volume before venturing out & about. I just kept mine topped off regularly while operating it w/no gauges.
I fill up every 4th morning like clock work!
Which is another thing I need to look into. I’ll be just before empty and only takes 11gal.
But I can’t complain avg about 15-16mpg
But I plan to keep everything plugged and just zip tied safely. The Holley handheld tells me all my vitals.

Last edited:

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Just an update I pulled it last night. It was a little tedious to get to the bolts holding the clamps for the wiring but I was able to get it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor