dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i am replacing my interior.i have tan now i am going to keep it all original and remove it .i bought a complete dark blue interior out of a 1987. i am painting all the plastic black.i have a dash that is mint, and dont really want to paint it. has anyone used the dash covers they sell on gbody.com. i was thinking of selling the dash,i have an old one from a 1985 cutlass that has a small crack in it,also faded. any thoughts.or pics of one that was installed over a dash.

Attachments

• !B8jlS7!B2k~$(KGrHqV,!l8Ey+jC2JuHBM3Yp64Kjw~~_12.JPG
    !B8jlS7!B2k~$(KGrHqV,!l8Ey+jC2JuHBM3Yp64Kjw~~_12.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,262

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Why dont you want to paint it? I got a very mint gray dash from a GP and I painted it black. 2 years later and you still cant tell it was painted. I have heard some bad stories about the cheaper dash caps not fitting right or being very obvious that its there. I wouldnt waste my time personally. Its not like these dashes are super rare anyway.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I also say paint it, my dash was original and in mint condition but was gray and I painted mine with SEM black and SEM low luster clear 4 years ago. Still looks like new. And actually every plastic piece in my car I have prepped, and either painted SEM black or camel then coated with SEM low luster clear. I had light gray door panels and medium gray dash and the center console was blue.

Attachments

• IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 1,185

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
x2 on the SEM. Iused the Landau black and also got the correct SEM spray cleaner for the prep.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
X3. I agree with these guys. Don't be afraid to paint it! I'm planning to paint my GP dash prior to installation.
SEM products are very good. I have had nothing but good results so far.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
Even Dupli Color works fine if you prep it and clear it correctly, I've used both products with zero bad results. I did the hard plastic resin steering wheel in my '67 SS and it has been 13 years and still looks fine.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
yeah i am using cleaner and promoter with the paint,got it from tpc. expensive but it is supposed to be the best way.thanks guys looks like i will be painting the dash. don't care much for the 87 but its in mint.

Josh Hanna

Greasemonkey
Feb 3, 2013
Coral Spings FL
Longroof79 said:
X3. I agree with these guys. Don't be afraid to paint it! I'm planning to paint my GP dash prior to installation.
SEM products are very good. I have had nothing but good results so far.
agreed i used sem black on my dash and it holds up awesome!

Gbody

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2011
California
painted mines as well its only been two weeks but looks nices, i cleaned it up with some acetone, sprayed it with some adhesion promoter, after that sprayed it with a couple coats of the dupli-color vinyl paint, on top of that a few clear coats and shes looking pretty nice.. posting pics soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor