dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
-83MONTESS- said:
I had a hell of a hard time painting my hard plastic pieces. I got fish eyes in every single one especially the steering column which still looks like sh*t. All the hard plastic pieces have small scratches on them but I just touch them up now and then. The only parts that havent scratched any is the dash and my leather rear seat. Both of which were sprayed with the adhesion promoter and SEM paint.

I bet the pieces you painted were contaminated with years of ArmorAll and stuff like that. You have to clean off all of that. I prepped my pieces with lacquer thinner until nothing was showing up on my paper towel.

i bought some cleaner in a spray can as well. i think the promoter i was using wasnt any good.i tried another piece last nite and it sticks and wont scratch off.i will pick some up tonite and use it as well.

carmangary said:
-83MONTESS- said:
I had a hell of a hard time painting my hard plastic pieces. I got fish eyes in every single one especially the steering column which still looks like sh*t. All the hard plastic pieces have small scratches on them but I just touch them up now and then. The only parts that havent scratched any is the dash and my leather rear seat. Both of which were sprayed with the adhesion promoter and SEM paint.

I bet the pieces you painted were contaminated with years of ArmorAll and stuff like that. You have to clean off all of that. I prepped my pieces with lacquer thinner until nothing was showing up on my paper towel.
I used thinner to prep on everything I painted. Followed by compressed air.

well cleaned up a part.used bulldog promoter and painted the part with SEM Landau black.then sprayed it with low luster and it holds up well. tried to scratch it and results are good. thanks everyone. now i can move forward and finish the rest.the paint i used was color coat.

x2 on the wax/grease remover.armorall and the like have lots of silicone in them.the silicone is what makes the fisheyes.also you have to let the thinner gas out, otherwise the gases will be trapped under the paint.and they will gas out through the top coats.if your spraying with a gun you can also add fisheye retarder to the mix as insurance.the bulldog adhesion promoter is the sh*t.a detail guy told me about it when i asked how he got paint to stick to all the black trim on his work van after he painted it white.now i use it on all my plastics i paint.

Try scuffing everything with a red scuff pad & then spray it with adhesion promoter before paint.

i am curious of what kind of center console is that?
565bbchevy said:
I also say paint it, my dash was original and in mint condition but was gray and I painted mine with SEM black and SEM low luster clear 4 years ago. Still looks like new. And actually every plastic piece in my car I have prepped, and either painted SEM black or camel then coated with SEM low luster clear. I had light gray door panels and medium gray dash and the center console was blue.

roachownsu said:
565bbchevy said:
I also say paint it, my dash was original and in mint condition but was gray and I painted mine with SEM black and SEM low luster clear 4 years ago. Still looks like new. And actually every plastic piece in my car I have prepped, and either painted SEM black or camel then coated with SEM low luster clear. I had light gray door panels and medium gray dash and the center console was blue.

It was a blue 78' Trans Am console that I modified to fit my car.

565bbchevy said:
roachownsu said:
565bbchevy said:

It was a blue 78' Trans Am console that I modified to fit my car.

thats pretty cool man

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor