dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
another question to all who replied to this post. is everyone putting clear coat over your new painted plastic and dashes to protect from scratches. got alot of my parts painted the SEM paint. just need to know if it should be clear coated. does it turn out to shinny and look painted.

I don't plan to clearcoat mine. I like the mat, or semi-flat finish. I wouldn't want mine to come out too glossy.

i hear you kinda what i was thinking. got one part done after 2 days,but we have a prob it scratches the paint off easy what am i doing wrong

I have the SEM low luster clear on my dash for protection from any scratches and the shine is not any more than factory looking, the last thing I wanted was a glossy freshly Armor-alled look that would have an extremely annoying reflection on my windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 945
what i was saying was.i painted a couple pieces and tested to see if they scratch off the paint and it does. what am i doing wrong.any advise?

I painted a light blue steering wheel and horn cover red using SEM paint and it hasn't worn a bit. That stuff is amazing. I wouldn't hesitate painting other interior parts with it.

I had a hell of a hard time painting my hard plastic pieces. I got fish eyes in every single one especially the steering column which still looks like sh*t. All the hard plastic pieces have small scratches on them but I just touch them up now and then. The only parts that havent scratched any is the dash and my leather rear seat. Both of which were sprayed with the adhesion promoter and SEM paint.

I have painted tons of dashes in my shop
We start by washing the dash with very hot water and ivory dish soap then let it dry for a day
Then we use a gray Sluff pad and lightly skuff the dash but very lightly,after that we use wax and grease remover and wipe it down.. We use 3m adhesion promoter but they say it isn't needed if you use sem...I just use it for security sake
We spray a light coat and let that sit for 15 mins followed by 2 wet coats
I have a cady that we did arm rests 4 years ago and they look as good as the day they were done
My advice is use sem paint I have used others but sem is by far the best

Good luck

they are many kinds of clear coats.. gloss, semi gloss, flat, and satin.. i used a flat gloss

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor