Dashboard Interchangability..

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortydoowop138

Greasemonkey
Feb 15, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
I have an '84 Buick Type-T & I'm tired of idiot lights. Can an 80's Gran Prix be swapped in it's place? I'd rather have multiple gauges that tell me everything vice lights that come on & tell me nothing.

I've heard that you need to have all the heat/AC ducts from the dash that you are going to use. That's about all I can tell you.

Yeah I would think as long as you have the wiring diagrams and the heater vents from the donor dash it should go in. Why not just try and do a gauge cluster swap?

79loserbluebu said:
Yeah I would think as long as you have the wiring diagrams and the heater vents from the donor dash it should go in. Why not just try and do a gauge cluster swap?
X2, If your dash is in good shape.Why not :idea:

I've thought about doing a gauge cluster upgrade but don't like the cluttered look of having multiple gauges behind my steering wheel.. Due to my lack of height (5'4") I'm often looking thru my steering wheel to see what's going on. I want my gauges more spread out with just a speedo/tach behind the wheel & the remaining gauges off to da side or above/below my dash.. I'll keep y'all posted on my decision & how it comes out.

shortydoowop138 said:
I've thought about doing a gauge cluster upgrade but don't like the cluttered look of having multiple gauges behind my steering wheel.. Due to my lack of height (5'4") I'm often looking thru my steering wheel to see what's going on. I want my gauges more spread out with just a speedo/tach behind the wheel & the remaining gauges off to da side or above/below my dash.. I'll keep y'all posted on my decision & how it comes out.

im swapping a 86 monte ss gut into my 86 regal. i like the fact that it has oil pres,tac,batt in the cluster. no gauges mounted to pillar to atract un needed attn.and it looks stock

I've had both the MonteSS and Grand Prix dashes and I like the GP better. The instruments are off to one side and angled towards you. As stated, the AC ducts were different as well as the wiring harness.

I had an MC when I 1st got my Type T but traded it for a Suburban.. I was thinking about running 2 3pod clusters on my dash(1 top/1 bottom). How hard is it to wire in the GP harness & aree the gauge ports big enough to accept aftermarket gauges?

Here is a picture of cptech's dash with VDO gauges he was selling. They fit and looked great. The dash may still be available as far as I know.
viewphoto.jpg

Yes, I think it's still available. He has it posted over at Maliburacing.com.
Here's a link: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewt ... 10&t=95703

The gauge ports on the smaller gauges need to be opened up a little bit. No biggie. The larger gauges will accomodate a 3 3/8" speedo and tach...but with the larger 5" speedo and tach, the openings may need to be enlarged a tad as well..

The fellow selling the dash can explain it all to you. He's a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor