Stripped screw holes on dashboard frame

Gnfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2020
Hey guys, Purchased a new speaker dash panel for my 1986 GN and many of the screws are stripped which causes rattles. I believe the dash frame is made out of fiberglass?? I am thinking of removing the windshield and installing rivnuts in the holes for a permanent fix. Any of you guys run into this problem??

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Almost all of them for the panel. I am not sure what size they are.
Find out and get back to us, then. We'll wait.... :)

Just kidding. If the threaded parts are simply stripped a bit, it's POSSIBLE to save face a bit and try placing stranded 16 gage wire in the hole and inserting the screw and tightening it GENTLY. Don't overdo it. You may get away with that. If the bosses are cracked, you may have to fill and drill with some plastic filler or something and make new threads. Just depends on the damage.

This is someone using solder wick braid to make a wad of material on the end of a screw to do basically the same thing. Worth a shot? Just an idea. If not, you may need to fill the holes with epoxy or something and redrill them.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If I remember correctly on my 86' Regal when I installed this, all of the screws went into factory steel threaded clips.

OIP.rqyQz-7m-xaAuhXkzK3hUgHaHa

Reactions: 1 user

Gnfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2020
If I remember correctly on my 86' Regal when I installed this, all of the screws went into factory steel threaded clips.

OIP.rqyQz-7m-xaAuhXkzK3hUgHaHa
Thats the piece, there are clips the screws screw into?? I thought they screw directly into dash.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Basically, the screw threads just need something to bite into...how about wrapping a small cone of electrical tape?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor