DBW Cruise Control Wiring Diagram Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlb602

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2020
Hello,

Putting on the finishing touch on a DBW 5.3/4L60 swap into 1982 Malibu Wagon. Looking for a wiring diagram to make this happen. I have a PSI Conversions harness(with normally closed cruise control instructions) and DD dash. I think I need a normally open diagram. I've attached photos of the Cruise Control lever that I'm using and its wiring/connector end. Should I cut the connector off and splice onto the wires? Or leave the connector and splice onto the brown, green and blue wires. Any information/diagram/instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mario

Attachments

• 20220123_175018.jpg
    20220123_175018.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 20220123_175747.jpg
    20220123_175747.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 20220123_182853.jpg
    20220123_182853.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 198
What ecm do you have, 99-02 or 03-07 or 07-14?

I cut the wires on the black side of the plug (blue, green & Brown) and spliced them to the LS harness. I had a stock harness that I cut down but it should be the same as yours.

Your 82 cruise switch might be correct but you need to double check. You probably need an 84+ newer stalk. I think the 82 is for aftermarket systems and the 84+ GM stalk is the same function as an LS1 style.

You will need to add a resistor between one of the brake light switch signal wire and the tail lights, the stock G body tail lights are like 2 ohm and the silverado light is 4 ohm and the system needs to see 3.2ohm or something (pulling these numbers out of thin air, you need to check). But you will need to add a resistor for the ECM to see the tail lights work and turn off the lockout function.

1643036496020.png

81cutlass,

I appreciate your help with the cruise control. The '84+ cruise control lever did the trick. I just checked it via the channels in the HP Tuners - VCM Scanner. Will test drive it this weekend.

Thank you,
Mario

Hey,

Unfortunately, the cruise control did not work on my test drive; however it still works in the HP Tuners, VCM Scanner Channels. Would anyone happen to know if there is something in the tune that may prevent the cruise control from working when driving?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mario

Hey,

Unfortunately, the cruise control did not work on my test drive; however it still works in the HP Tuners, VCM Scanner Channels. Would anyone happen to know if there is something in the tune that may prevent the cruise control from working when driving?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mario

Do you have 2 brake Voltage signals, one normally off and one normally on
Do you have added resistance on the 3rd brake light input wire

You can add the channels cruise command on/off, cruise command set, cruise command coast and cruise lockout in the hpt scanner. Cycle the switch and make sure the ecm sees the command signals as desired

What transmission do you have, it won't go into cruise if it sees gear ratio mismatch

Do you have 2 brake Voltage signals, one normally off and one normally on - I'm assuming I do because I did that when I wired in my PSI 1014 Harness.
Do you have added resistance on the 3rd brake light input wire - I will have to check this. Is there a specific color for this wire?

You can add the channels cruise command on/off, cruise command set, cruise command coast and cruise lockout in the hpt scanner. Cycle the switch and make sure the ecm sees the command signals as desired - I have added the channels in HP Tuners - VCM Scanner and its working on the channels, just not working while driving.

What transmission do you have, it won't go into cruise if it sees gear ratio mismatch - 4L60E that came mated to the engine. I am running 3:73 gears, which may not have been the case for the donor vehicle. I may need to look into this a bit more. Should I explore the tune and see if there is a place to change this?

Responses above in blue. I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,
Mario

That diagram is for 99-02 dbc ecms, wiring is the same for the cruise switch 99-07. The signals for the brake switch are the same on your engine as the diagram, but the diagram routing is different because it used a throttle actuator module (TAC) throttle body driver instead of the cruise cable box used in the dbc cars.

Because you have a 60e it will work, 100%. I have about 60 hours trying to get cruise working on my car and can't due to my ecm, trans and engine being very odd. I know a decent amount but can't speak to the colors of wire.

Your PSI harness may not have the second wire. Does the torque converter lock and unlock when you touch the brakes? That's the first thing that is a signal. If it doesn't lock like normal and unlock when you tap the brakes I'm 100% sure it's not wired correctly. If it does unlock there a 50% chance its hooked up right.

Does cruise lockout ever turn off in the channels when logging while driving? The incorrect resistance or wiring on the brake switch will not allow it to exit lockout mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor