Decided on a 5.3 swap, gathering my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grand86prix_05

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
Chillicothe, OH
Hey guys, I finally concluded that doing a 5.3 swap will be the best route for my desires with my car. I found the complete engine with wiring, accessories and all with a 4l60e for $600, which is too hard to not grab up. It's an 02, so if Im not mistaken, is a cable throttle. I am mosy likely going to sell the trans and go a th350 route, as from what I can gather will just be a bit more simple for me. I want to stay fuel injected, I just don't do carbs, they're not my thing.

Anyway, I've been doing quite a bit of research but am finding mostly carb converted swaps, and am finding myself limited on efi info. Im not worried about upgrading the fuel system, just at a bit of a loss with doing the wiring. I should have the truck harness, but where can I find good info on making it work with my car? I am also noticing I'll need plates for the engine mounts, but want to be clear, will I be using my cars mounts or ones for the engine? The rest I can pretty well figure out, just a little bit stuck with wiring.

I really cant wait, I am wanting this swap to be as straight forward and ready to go as possible when I'm ready to go. I will really appreciate any info anyone is willing to provide. I know there is quite a bit of info, but some seems hardr to find than others. If it helps, mine has a 3.8 currently. Really just wanting to gathet my thoughts with this thread, and if all goes well, I will make a nice write up about the process. Thanks guys!

onesickGSX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2014
PA
Depends on wether you want to do your own harness trimming or send it out. I'm tossing around the idea of sending mine to 150tunes.com to have it trimmed though it would save some dough to do it yourself. ls1tech.com has some threads on wiring diagrams and what can and can't be removed.

As far as motor mounts there are quite a few places for those, the s10 ls swap plates bolt to clamshell style small block motor mounts or if you have a welder and some free time it would be pretty easy to fab up some nice brackets.

The only thing I have been thinking about lately is what to do about a throttle cable. Which if you plan to go efi with a th350 you will need some sort of kick down cable as well. There is some good info in the engine swap section on what all you will need.

onesickGSX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2014
PA
I decided to take the plunge and thin the harness myself. If the above sites didn't help try lt1swap.com There is really good info on that site and he has step by step instructions with photos.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
onesickGSX said:
I decided to take the plunge and thin the harness myself. If the above sites didn't help try lt1swap.com There is really good info on that site and he has step by step instructions with photos.

X2 that site helped me a bunch!, and I hate electrical work!! got it done and working good for my ls swap.. I used factory fuse boxes as well and quickly learned how to solder and heatshrink wires like a pro!

grand86prix_05

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
Chillicothe, OH
Thanks for the replies guys! Trying to get this ball rolling, I have the engine for a hell of a deal. I got it with all accessories and transmission for $600. It is an 02 so don't have to mess with that drive by wire crap. Gonna ditch the 4l60e though for a th350. It does have a harness, but it was cut at the main bulk. Probably still usable, but I'm not completely sure if I want to mess with wiring it up.

A friend a short bit ago showed me this site: http://www.psiconversion.com/
I happen to really like what they have to offer, especially the PCM that can be programmed. Anyone have any experience with these?
If there is someone who does harnesses privately, I'd definitely be interested in opting for that too. I mean, I'm good with electrical, I would just prefer someone with experience so nothing is overlooked and to speed up the process with it's time to drop the engine in.

As for the mounts, I've looked into it some but still want to be clear when I go to get them. I know about the plates I need, so onto the mounts themselves. Would this be essentially what I need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Motor-Eng ... c0&vxp=mtr I really don't want solid, just clarifying what I am needing before I look further.

Other than that, I pretty much got it, I'm just not completely sure what to do about the tv cable for the trans I want to use. Gonna have to search a little more on that, just seems from what I can see that it is gonna be a little tricky to hook up properly.

I'm still looking around, but any other tips are greatly appreciated. So far you guys have been a big help, really appreciate it! If any curiosities pop into my head I'll let you guys know!

jones20992

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2014
grand86prix_05 said:
A friend a short bit ago showed me this site: http://www.psiconversion.com/
I happen to really like what they have to offer, especially the PCM that can be programmed. Anyone have any experience with these?
If there is someone who does harnesses privately, I'd definitely be interested in opting for that too. I mean, I'm good with electrical, I would just prefer someone with experience so nothing is overlooked and to speed up the process with it's time to drop the engine in.
I have herd good things about there harnesses, I would not buy a pre programmed ECM if it was me I know Psi uses HP tuners and that is the way to go (that or EFI live) if you buy the tuner then when you upgrade parts or go FI you can always save money on the tune because you can just use your tuner instead of the dyno bying another vin from Hp or EFI, also you can just buy a tune over the net and and download it yourself.

grand86prix_05 said:
As for the mounts, I've looked into it some but still want to be clear when I go to get them. I know about the plates I need, so onto the mounts themselves. Would this be essentially what I need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Motor-Eng ... c0&vxp=mtr I really don't want solid, just clarifying what I am needing before I look further.

Ls motor mounts are the same as SBC but 1'' further back if you want your transmission to be in the same spot

as far as the th350 goes

You will need a 98 LS1 flexplate, because it's dual pattern, or a TCI flexplate.
You need a spacer for the torque convertor hub, so it reaches the crankshaft, or a convertor made for an LS1. http://www.sdpc2000.com/search.asp?s...acer&doquery=1
The transmission will bolt up but with only 5 bolts out of six.
You need a VSS of some sort.http://www.magsensors.com/vss.html

grand86prix_05

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
Chillicothe, OH
Thanks a bunch! So that settles the mounts, just gotta get them. Also planning to of course look more into a pcm, I just like the options I have.

As for the flex plate, I looked at it and see what you mean, seems one tc is a little wider than the other. Will I need that specific year? When I looked it showed that some older truck flex plates would work as well. Thanks again!

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
If it were mine I would just stick with the 4L60E. Your harness and ECM and set up to use that and I beleive if you wanted to run an older trans you would need a manual trans ECM. I couldn't tell you if that's true HP tuners has a parameter to change what trans you have but I have a 60 so I didn't try to change it.

Anyways instead of messing with the stuff previously listed you would need to get your driveshaft shortened and get a different trans crossmember. And you would have overdrive which is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor