Delay wipers fix maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, how about a 1993 Pontiac Firebird. It has a column that is old enough not to have a code key, so the wiper switch should fit our column. The Firebird has recessed park wipers and the motor on RockAuto comes with the mount bracket and the CACA, so the bracket could be cut down into a clockable piece to fire the CACA at the correct time for a G-Body.

The wiring on the connector side would not be the same, but all the inputs are there and the flat pack connector is the same so it could be repinned from the G-Body connector. It does also seem to have a separate wire for the washer pump as well.

Here is a schematic for this system.

01wipers (1).jpg

Ok, how about a 1993 Pontiac Firebird. It has a column that is old enough not to have a code key, so the wiper switch should fit our column. The Firebird has recessed park wipers and the motor on RockAuto comes with the mount bracket and the CACA, so the bracket could be cut down into a clockable piece to fire the CACA at the correct time for a G-Body.

The wiring on the connector side would not be the same, but all the inputs are there and the flat pack connector is the same so it could be repinned from the G-Body connector. It does also seem to have a separate wire for the washer pump as well.
I'll be honest, I skipped that before because every place I looked the switch was either out of stock or no longer available, so I was looking at availability too. The best thing about the 93+ firebird and camaro is the delay module is the same as the monte carlo motor that I got. The only good thing is though, there should be plenty of those columns in the salvage yards for several years to come, and hopefully someone will start making them again, because obviously they won't make them if there is no demand. I did happen to find one switch though and have it on its way, so if it works, then it will be an option, then if there is enough demand then maybe someone will start making it again...

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be honest, I skipped that before because every place I looked the switch was either out of stock or no longer available, so I was looking at availability too. The best thing about the 93+ firebird and camaro is the delay module is the same as the monte carlo motor that I got. The only good thing is though, there should be plenty of those columns in the salvage yards for several years to come, and hopefully someone will start making them again, because obviously they won't make them if there is no demand. I did happen to find one switch though and have it on its way, so if it works, then it will be an option, then if there is enough demand then maybe someone will start making it again...
Yeah, I was kind of shocked after the fact when I started hunting for that switch. I almost didn't mention it for that reason, but this is as close to a drop in solution as I have found thus far.

I've got some somewhat great news now. I received the wiper switch from a 93-2002 camaro or firebird, hooked it up, and it works great. I did have to switch the green and gray wires around for some reason though. I had already gotten the monte carlo wiper motor, but they use the same module as the camaro and firebirds, so you should be able to use a wiper motor for the same years as the switch. I'm still a long ways from mounting the motor in the car, although I might work on that a little bit. You will have to deal with the arm sweep length, and ball size, and also the tang that works the eccentric for park will have to be mounted in the right spot. The pontiac montana/chevy venture motor would work, but its about a 270 degree reverse rotation for the park, and the monte carlo is just over 180 degrees, which is what you will want. I am unsure on the camaro and firebirds, but going to assume its the same 180 degree. Ok, the good news is the camaro/firebird, and monte carlo wiper motors are relatively inexpensive, but there is some pretty bad news concerning the switches... there are not too many of them out there from what I can find, so you will pretty much be looking at going to the junkyard and getting it. Although, looking on car-part, yards have a bunch of columns listed for less than $100 in my general area, so not too bad on price. I got lucky and found an acdelco switch for $35 on ebay though. Part numbers I found for the switch are as follows, there might be more though, I can't say...
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS DS-1731
WELLSSW838
GM26020950
AIRTEX1S4668
CARQUEST53-65138
GMD6312D
ECHLINAR299

Awesome news! I can help you out some on the wiper arm part. A 2nd gen S-10 has a wiper arm that is the same center to ball distance as a G-Body stock arm, has the same diameter ball, and has the correct tapered splined hole that the newer motors use. It is a solid arm instead of a CACA, but if the reverse rotation on the Monte Carlo/Camaro/Firebird motor is close to 180 degrees it may park just like the factory G-Body motor would.

The motor mounting would normally suck *ss, but if your car is as tore down as it is in your profile pic life may be a lot easier for you. My motor had the best clearances with the motor pointing down, but straight up is possible as well. I just made a template on a piece of cardboard, transferred it over, and used a right angle drill to drill the holes. One of my holes landed on a support rib and had to be dremeled a little to allow the bolt to land correctly, but it did fit well and had proper geometry. Didn't look out of place under a stock engine bay, either.

I may make a trip to the pull-a-part later in the spring to pick up a motor and switch, but I have trees to cut and convert into firewood before it gets too hot so it will be a little while before I can prove this out myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome news! I can help you out some on the wiper arm part. A 2nd gen S-10 has a wiper arm that is the same center to ball distance as a G-Body stock arm, has the same diameter ball, and has the correct tapered splined hole that the newer motors use. It is a solid arm instead of a CACA, but if the reverse rotation on the Monte Carlo/Camaro/Firebird motor is close to 180 degrees it may park just like the factory G-Body motor would.
Well, unfortunately a 2nd gen wiper crank arm will not work with a firebird/camaro/montecarlo/montana wiper motor... While it'll physically bolt on to the motor, when it parks it'll make the wipers be in the full extend, or up position. The factory wiper motor park, works an eccentric, just like the newer caca, but instead of it being external on the newer ones, the original works built into the wiper motor. Hook it up on the bench and you'll see what i'm talking about, because the g body wiper motor doesn't actually reverse rotation, but in park, it theoretically makes the wiper arm longer to pull the arms down more. It only makes it longer by a little less than a half inch, and I only have a venture/montana crank arm here, and it will make it longer by a over 3/4 of an inch. I don't know about a firebird or monte arm though, would have to get one to see. Even using the montana arm though, you could play with where you mount the tab to make it so the eccentric doesn't make the full sweep back. Now different ball size? not a hard fix, grind the back of the stud and drive it out, do that with both so you have the smaller one that you need, then carefully mark and drill the hole for the smaller stud so the arm is the correct length, press or drive it in since you'll want this a tight fit, and weld the back side of the stud. Of course if you ever need to replace it, you'll have to do it again...

Hmmm, well at least the S10 arm can be salvaged for the stud. I guess I will have to add a CACA to the shopping list and work from there. I do vaugely remember the wierd cam action thing that the motor did, but didn't realize that the motor shaft was not centered on it.

Well depending on which one you pick, on rock auto, a 2001 monte carlo wiper motor is about $73, plus $51 for the crank arm. A venture/montana arm fits too, but the pictures make it look like the monte arm has a little bit less of an eccentric, so it might be a better fit. Now, the 93-98 camaro/firebird lists the motor and crank arm together, for $84, so that's an even better deal, but I don't know how many degrees the motor rotates backward to park, and I don't see on rock auto or ebay where the crank arm is available separate, so I would assume that in 20 years the monte parts will be easier to find, but who knows. I might get a monte crank arm to see how much eccentric it has.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor