dent pulling

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
OPGI offers that skin as a complete quarter but also as an individual panel that does not include the sail. Agree it can had from inside the cabin but ask your body buddy whether or not it would be cheaper to cut the damaged section away and graft in a donor piece taken from a clean new mfg panel. Suggesting this because where the panel folds over to attach to the door striker panel appears to show some deformation as well and because that joint is plug welded, pulling on the outer skin won't necessarily bring the door panel back into alignment.

Popping that drain plug from the rear seat foot well to allow the water to drain is a good idea but, doing so can offer a way for critters to sneak inside the cabin. Mice are insidious for inserting themselves into almost impossible places and wreaking havoc.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
OPGI offers that skin as a complete quarter but also as an individual panel that does not include the sail. Agree it can had from inside the cabin but ask your body buddy whether or not it would be cheaper to cut the damaged section away and graft in a donor piece taken from a clean new mfg panel. Suggesting this because where the panel folds over to attach to the door striker panel appears to show some deformation as well and because that joint is plug welded, pulling on the outer skin won't necessarily bring the door panel back into alignment.

Popping that drain plug from the rear seat foot well to allow the water to drain is a good idea but, doing so can offer a way for critters to sneak inside the cabin. Mice are insidious for inserting themselves into almost impossible places and wreaking havoc.

Nick
Thanks Nick. I think I'm going to pass on this car because the $2k car becomes $5k with repair in the case that I can even find good workmanship. Not that it is pricey but it looks like a gamble - car might always look like shyt.

I also learned about cowl seam and AC box leaks paths for water intrusion based on earlier comments...

This car has been for sale for a long time. I see the Google Earth image of the house has this Monte Carlo with a 'for sale' sign and the dent back in 11/2022. This guy ruined a perfectly good car by backing into it. Only a few of us find this to be a tragedy. The vast majority of zombies out there don't look past dull paint - for them these cars look like poverty. We know better.... The cars create poverty by sopping up income.

G-Body NY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2022
Damn that thing is clean. That dent is an easy repair for a competent body guy. I wish I was closer I'd help you out.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
We-elll, will the owner take a counter offer? Is 2K firm or is there room to negotiate a little? Get the price down to 1500 or less and you have reached a point where the work might become feasible. Plus which, if a budget is in play, buy your parts first and then stash them while you save for the labor. At lot of the projects found on this board are of "build as available/can afford it" variety. Me, no different in that respect. I stashed parts for years and accumulated cash to pay for what I had to acquire new.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
We-elll, will the owner take a counter offer? Is 2K firm or is there room to negotiate a little? Get the price down to 1500 or less and you have reached a point where the work might become feasible. Plus which, if a budget is in play, buy your parts first and then stash them while you save for the labor. At lot of the projects found on this board are of "build as available/can afford it" variety. Me, no different in that respect. I stashed parts for years and accumulated cash to pay for what I had to acquire new.

Nick
The other thing about what Nick said is, don't overlook the lack of rust. Where there a little rust there's usually a LOT more to be found, especially in your neck of the woods.

People are asking lots of money these days for these cars, and what you've got there is: old (original?) paint, that means no hidden bondo bucket and crappy bodywork. No landau top means no rust under it. A solid frame and solid floors save a BUNCH of work, because the repop floor pans lack the mounts for seats, braces underneath, etc and don't even cover all the way to the edge of a floor. In other words.... it's a PITA to work floors, not always the simple 'order a patch' people think it is.

There's a lot there to like about that car, and a more powerful drivetrain is an easy direct swap without relocating rusty greasy mounts and busting knuckles doing it.

In the $2k or less market, anything you buy will have warts, some more than others. And sometimes it's the devil you can see vs many more you can't.

Clean rustwise body, no recent paint hiding things, fairly clean interior... that's not bad to start with.

If it's sat that long, I bet dad wants it gone too. Best case is he's there when you look at it and offer less than the $2k, especially if it was for sale at the same price before the dent showed up and you talk it down based on it.

Also, if there's guys on this board whose work you see and do it by trade, and, are just a 2hr ride away? It's worth talking what they'd charge to get it good enough where you're happy and drive the 2 hrs with it.

Also, that location is easy to add a tu-tone paint band to the car without a full repaint. Saves cash on the bank end and still looks sharp.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020

Nick

I didn't make an offer, and the car is definitely worth what he is asking. I do appreciate the discussion here.
The other thing about what Nick said is, don't overlook the lack of rust. Where there a little rust there's usually a LOT more to be found, especially in your neck of the woods.

People are asking lots of money these days for these cars, and what you've got there is: old (original?) paint, that means no hidden bondo bucket and crappy bodywork. No landau top means no rust under it. A solid frame and solid floors save a BUNCH of work, because the repop floor pans lack the mounts for seats, braces underneath, etc and don't even cover all the way to the edge of a floor. In other words.... it's a PITA to work floors, not always the simple 'order a patch' people think it is.

There's a lot there to like about that car, and a more powerful drivetrain is an easy direct swap without relocating rusty greasy mounts and busting knuckles doing it.

In the $2k or less market, anything you buy will have warts, some more than others. And sometimes it's the devil you can see vs many more you can't.

Clean rustwise body, no recent paint hiding things, fairly clean interior... that's not bad to start with.

If it's sat that long, I bet dad wants it gone too. Best case is he's there when you look at it and offer less than the $2k, especially if it was for sale at the same price before the dent showed up and you talk it down based on it.

Also, if there's guys on this board whose work you see and do it by trade, and, are just a 2hr ride away? It's worth talking what they'd charge to get it good enough where you're happy and drive the 2 hrs with it.

Also, that location is easy to add a tu-tone paint band to the car without a full repaint. Saves cash on the bank end and still looks sharp.

All true... Seller says there are several people coming to 'pick it up on Saturday'. I figured he was trying to pressure me, seeing the car in the google earth shot. That has me laughing. I already have a nice g-body. I've wanted a second car to work on for a while. I think I'll pass on this one, not for cost, not because I'm cheap, but because I've seen a number of workable cars over the year on the market place. I'll pull the trigger on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor